Thursday, September 24, 2015

Roasts & Wool Hats!

Wanted to share some photos from today at the farm. It's early fall and the trees are starting to change and the light is growing tired. The garden has sent forth quite the nice butternut harvest and the pigs are out in the woods enjoying new "pasture" in the woodlot and snooting through the dirt. The two ewes are new additions to the farm! They are here to be bred for the spring, and have some lovely romney/merino cross wool to hopefully be turned into yarn. It's encouraging to see this little piece of land hosting these future roasted squashes, pork feasts, and wool hats while they are on the vine and hoof. To some people, this looks like a lot of work. To me it looks like a lot of safe.

7 Comments:

Blogger Zola Crofoot said...

Self preservation, self satisfaction, Self Strong.

September 24, 2015 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

So fun. Worth it.

September 24, 2015 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

Holy Cow that's a lot of butternut squash!! Awesome harvest : )

September 24, 2015 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

Putting food on the table is comforting. When everything else goes to pot we can still eat.

September 25, 2015 at 5:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Such fun pictures.
How much land/space do your pigs have there? And how destructive are they to it? I would love to pasture mine, but not at the expense of my horse's pasture/feed.
By the way, I really enjoy the picture-heavy posts. Keep them coming.

September 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Kyler and Sylvia said...

I'm with you on the "safe": few things I find safer than a full woodshed and full freezer. Great to see more sheep coverage too.

September 25, 2015 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Hay Jenna,

you will love spinning the Romney X Merino wool. I kept wool sheep for 12 years and I had quite a few of those crosses plus pure New Zealand Romney(very wooly in the face the pure ones). I absolutely loved all their wool. I still have about 20 bags in the basement and I am slowly spinning them up. The crimp is so nice and the yarn is very springy.

Is the one sheep grey or brown? I love the natural colored ones.

Love all the pictures as always thanks for sharing.

Linda

September 25, 2015 at 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home