Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Lantern Morning

It's been cool enough at night to not need the fan in my bedroom window, and that fact only matters because this morning there was nothing to drone out the sound of a chicken in distress. Myself and the two border collies all shot up in bed at the screech of a bird being hassled (Annie the husky could care less, and kept sleeping) and within moments Gibson and I were outside with a lantern. We got to the chicken tractors in time and saw them all fussed and huddled but saw no signs of injury and counted no losses. Looks like the raccoons are back...

Good morning! It's 5:30 and I've been up for about an hour. Coffee is on and I am waiting for daylight before taking on the morning chores. The sun is just coming over the mountain, just slightly, and if I time things right I will be able to watch that gorgeous scene with a mug of hot mud and my heroes by my side, the farm dogs of Cold Antler Farm. I'll raise the mug to them. (And make a mental note to set the trap with some wet cat food for Rocket).

A few nights ago I was up at Midnight, and had stayed up on purpose in case the Northern Lights touched down. I have never seen them and a friend who is a little more up and up on celestial goings on explained to me that that night around midnight, there was a chance of seeing them in New York. I stood out there under the stars, searching up for a long while, but they never arrived. I headed back inside to my warm bed and house and felt lucky anyway. I didn't see the Big Show but I did just spend the evening with two close friends at the new straw bale home she had just finished building, a house whose beams I helped raise myself. We had a feast of bacon-coated meat loaf, veggies, and local beer and talked for hours. Then we sat in her wood-fired hot tub and watched falling stars. That is one hell of a night for me and the fact it didn't end with a light show did not diminish it.

In a few moments another light show is about to start, the sunrise. And not only will I have hot coffee I have the satisfaction of a flock of birds safe and whole, a day of good work ahead, and a horse who I think I'll tack up and take for a ride before heading off farm to help some friends out for a few hours with their project. There's a lot of good here, and a lot to look forward to with Antlerstock just around the corner! I can't believe it is Almost October...

The important part isn't to see the Northern Lights. That's just icing on the cake. The important part is keep looking up.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Looking up is the thing.
Not missing the dawn.
Imagine missing out on it, by looking down in the darkest hour. x

September 23, 2015 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Jenna I wish you could see the Northern Lights. I live on a small farm outside Battleford, Saskatchewan. I was just commenting to my husband that we are so lucky to live here out in the country. (two years here) and that we get to see the Northern Lights so often. In face, we placed our house in such a way as we can see them from our bedroom while we are lying in bed. Four nights in a row this week they were dancing brilliantly across the northern sky. It is a sight to behold. If you are ever in the neighbourhood...

September 23, 2015 at 8:52 AM  
OpenID peacelovepointers said...

Just wondering, since you were thinking about another horse, have you ever thought about a mule? I hear they eat less than horses, are hardy-er all around, and make great riding animals. I don't know how true that is, but that's just what I've heard.

Hope you catch that raccoon. They are nasty critters in my personal experience.

Have a good day and a great ride.

September 23, 2015 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

Glad you heard that raccoon and had no casualties! I love your analogy about the lights. Looking up is the important part for sure!

September 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm currently at war with a raccoon myself, so I feel your pain. I've caught every other critter West Philadelphia has to offer -- squirrel, cat, 2 possums -- but the coon has evaded the trap so far. I knew he was around, but yesterday morning I heard the sound of panicking chicken, went out to find she'd flipped over her food and water, got them straightened out, looked around to see what upset her . . . and found the raccoon sitting on the roof of the coop, looking me straight in the face.

It makes me really glad, for her, that I have to keep her in because of "normal" city hazards like cats, dogs and children.

September 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home