Wednesday, September 16, 2015

I'm coming out of my cage

Yesterday I was out on a seven-mile run. That's the farthest I have ran this summer, and have never felt the need to run farther. Honestly, I just don't have the time. I run slow and steady and to handle the twists, turns, hills and heat it takes me nearly an hour and 45 minutes to run that much. It's still a hell of an accomplishment for me. Back in June I remember thinking three miles was a long run. Three miles today doesn't even break a sweat.

I play this game with the falling leaves when I am out there pumping away. The leaves are just starting to fall here and everyone that does is a reminder to get myself and the farm safe going into winter. When one falls I try to race it. If I can run past it before it hits the ground I consider it a little prayer and luck earned. Praying for what, exactly? Well, for luck in making sales, for securing firewood, for catching up on the mortgage so that creepy red SUV from the bank stops driving by to take pictures...

So far I have secured hay in several locations and have two cords of firewood on order for delivery by October 1. I got the plumbing fixed here and made a mortgage payment last week. I hope to make another one by Friday. In a perfect world I'd have a big book deal and go into fall with everything settled by now, and maybe I will score one. My agent is on it!

So I was out on my run, racing leaves, and planning to head home. I hit the 3.5 mile mark and was going to turn back when the opening guitar riff to Mr. Brightside came on the ol' ipod nano. I defy you to not keep running to a song like that. So I kept going and it wasn't long before I arrived at the Shushan Bridge. It's one of those old bridges that is all metal with big grates and you can see directly under you, 50+ feet below, to a now very shallow Battenkill river. I'm terrified of heights (well,  not really, but I do dread falling to my death) and so I was thinking of turning back and not running into the heart of town where the traintracks would make it a solid 4 mile outrun. I stood before the big open grates and realized I couldn't run because I might get my foot stuck in them. It amazes me how many excuses I make up to not do something scary. But the chorus was coming on so I sacked up and went for it. If you were in Shushan yesterday you would have seen a chubby gal with hands out like she was on a tightrope singing at the top of her lungs:

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea! 
Swimming through sick lullabies! 
Choking on your alibis! 
But it's just the price I pay....!

I got across that bridge thanks to a kickass bridge and felt a couple inches taller on the other side. Do something every day that scares you, right? And so I ended up breaking a new distance record. Considering when I first ran up my mountain I threw up, that's pretty awesome.

So that's what this post is about: keeping on. Keeping up the running and the diet. Keep getting healthier. Keep the farm in my name. Keep pushing. Keep singing. Keep being scared. I'm spending today working on logos and editing/rewriting the ending of Birchthorn and hopefully the gang at Common Sense will deliver hay so I have a small stash started.

7 Comments:

Blogger 4735 CW said...

Way to go! Keep them feet moving.

September 16, 2015 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Love that song! go you with your mega run (I'm not a runner - 1mile would seem like eternity to me!)

September 16, 2015 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Zola Crofoot said...

Keep doing what your doing Girl. DON'T CONFORM TO THE NORM!!!!!!!! I love your rebel spirit and you continue to encourage me to stay out of my comfort zone. I'm doing all this later in life.My children are raised, I went back to school and have a new career. I now have the time to do what I want and no one to tell I couldn't shouldn't. Thank you for helping others realize that they don't have to dream, THEY CAN DO. Love ya girl.

September 16, 2015 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

I finally caught up on Birchtorn, and I think it's a great story, can't wait to read the end! Also, read about my own death, lol. Thank you for making me a seller of saddle horses, that's way cool.

September 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

What is a red car taking pictures of your house for?! Or shall I ask, "For what reason giveth thout that a red wagon be photographing your cottage?" (practicing random, poorly-written, but fun-attempted, old English.)

September 16, 2015 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

This is why I read this blog. A kindred spirit. I started walking 3-4K 3 times a week. Then I started running down and up the hills, then for 2 minutes at a time plus the hills and valleys, challenging myself always. And I've just added bootcamp to that and if I can get out for my walk/run 5 days a week I'll do it. Determined as I am to keep getting better, stronger, faster. And yes, great song!

September 17, 2015 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Calico said...

Are you still doing keto?

October 9, 2015 at 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home