Friday, August 21, 2015

Thank You

This morning Gibson had a follow-up appointment at the vet for his injured paw. We arrived and talked with the vet, had his foot inspected and went over the course of care. It has been ten days and is healing well, if a little jagged. He is putting weight on it and seems to keep the bandages on. Im just so happy it isn't broken and he doesn't need x-rays. After the visit I got more vet-wrap, some antibiotics, and pain killers and when all was said and done I carried him off to the truck and came inside with my check book to settle the bill. I was promptly told by the folks at the desk that my appointment was already taken care of? What?!

As it turns out one of you sweet readers called the Cambridge Valley Vet Hospital here in town and told them you'd cover my pup's bill today. I don't know who you are, but thank you so much. You can't possibly know how much that meant to me and how it brightened my day. This month had over a thousand dollars in unplanned expenses from the vet office and truck repairs to pass NY state inspection with Big Red. Today's visit was not a thousand dollars, but it was an act of kindness and care and I teared up driving him back home, looking at the pill bottles and wrappings. This was not something I asked for or would ever imagine, but I did accept it. I thought of a Ted Talk one of you recently shared with me again. I'll post it at the end of this entry.

I know I live and farm alone but I never feel alone. Every donation, email, letter, story, subscription, and comment means the world to me.

The past few years I was dealing with things I will never feel comfortable writing about here. But I do know that many times when people sent a kind note, email, or donation through the paypal link I usually was too overwhelmed and scared to stop treading water to sent back a note of thanks. Not because I wasn't thankful, but because adding even that simple task was too much on top of holding things together in my heart and homestead. I'm not defending the oversight, just explaining the reason. I'm a very flawed person, but trying to repair that part of my own worth. So today I went right home and drew a thank you card with my return address, placed a stamp on it, and asked that the folks at the vet drop it in the mail and send it to the person who went out of their way to make someone's life a little easier today. If you feel compelled to support this farm, the donate button is on the right side, under the Barnheart graphic. I can assure you you will receive a Thank you email.

Thank you, and keep your eye on the mail.


Blogger jenomnibus said...

That is awesome! I've often dreamt of doing exactly the same thing, but unfortunately haven't been able to afford it. I'm so glad someone did!

August 21, 2015 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

There are some truly wonderful people that follow your life, Jenna. I am happy that someone thought of this way to help you and Gibson.

August 21, 2015 at 7:06 PM  
Blogger Mel Baker said...

What a wonderful thing for someone to do. Glad to hear that Gibson is doing alright.

August 22, 2015 at 1:14 AM  
Blogger Coco said...

What a beautiful gesture! There is still great kindness in the world.

August 22, 2015 at 4:00 AM  
Blogger daisy g said...

So glad to hear that Gibson is healing. What a wonderful gesture that angel provided you.
We can all keep the good stuff moving...

August 22, 2015 at 6:37 AM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

I accept this very late thank you. And what a wonderful person who paid the vet bill. Bless them!

August 22, 2015 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

This person rocks the barnyard. High Five!!

And in the meantime, I stumbled upon a video. Great wasn't until the credits rolled that I saw it was Kristin and Mark Kimball of Essex!

August 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

From one farmer (backyard farmer) to another (real-6-acre farmer)~
My 2 rabbits both had babies today.
The 2 year old has 9. The 9 month old has 3. It looks like they are all the same color too, aka copper or tan.

(Celebrate!!) :)

August 22, 2015 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

This is wonderful. Great TED video too.

August 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home