Sunday, October 18, 2015

Hallow's Eve Farm Workshop

If you don’t already have a date for Halloween this year, let me tell you what is planned for this little homestead in the woods. We’re going to throw a proper celebration of the day, and that doesn’t mean costumes and candy but instead conversation, memories, and warm blankets and hot cider around a roaring fire. I’m hosting a workshop for all the wannabes out there, including myself. Want to be a writer? A Homesteader? A full time farmer? A Blogger? a storyteller? A horseback rider? A market gardener? This Halloween we’re going to gather and talk about our goals and dreams and how to make them happen. It’s part advice, part inspiration, and part fellowship.

Let me paint the picture of the day. At 10AM folks will arrive to a farm covered in fall foliage on the side of this little mountain. I’ll be there to greet you with Merlin, riding him and then dismounting to show you around farm and forest here at Cold Antler. Meet the pigs in their woodland lot. Meet the sheep on the hill. See the chickens and the dogs and the whole world here I crafted from hope and force. Then we will bring hay bales and blankets (you provide the blankets, I’ll provide the bales) and head out into the cleaning behind the barn where a campfire will be kept burning all day. That fire will be for the memories of loved ones lost and stories we’ll tell but also to keep the mood going strong this Samhain. We’ll carve jackolanterns as we talk about possibilities, options, ideas and goals. We’ll share writing if we have any to bring (I’ll share writing from my new books) and we’ll talk about book proposals, publishing, and crowdfunding.

We’ll brake for lunch and either eat around the fire or you can head into Cambridge to shop at Battenkill Books or visit the Roundhouse Cafe and Jack’s Antiques or whatever strikes your fancy.

After lunch we’ll talk about getting farms and how I manage to keep this one. We’ll talk options from internships to housesitting to home loans and more. We’ll talk about what is keeping you from taking the leap? Think of this as a support group meeting for Barnheart, but at the ground zero of the disease.

The workshop will end at 4, but anyone is welcome to stay into the night for a bonfire. We’ll light the place up with the jacks we carved that morning and sit around the fire for good drinks, and the annual reading of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which I must say is extra special with a black horse listening from just 30 feet away in his pole barn! And if it rains, well, we’ll just come inside and sit around the wood stove instead. We'll make it work the way we always do around here.

So join me and others this Samhain at Cold Antler Farm for a day of making things happen with our words, deeds, and goals!

All Hallow's Eve Farm Writers Workshop 
October 31st 2015
10AM - 4PM
$100

8 Comments:

Blogger Beth Brown said...

I've been reading your blog for a long time and only comment occasionally. This would be such an awesome workshop for me - my daughters just left for college - and I'm feeling kind of lost. My life is at a crossroads in other ways too. That said - would it be weird if I signed up for this? I am as old as dirt - maybe older :) My feelings won't be hurt if you think I'll stick out like a sore thumb. Otherwise - I'll sign up!!

September 1, 2015 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger Laura Angelus said...

You should go for it! Wish I could but I live too far away.

September 1, 2015 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Laura Angelus said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 1, 2015 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Beth Brown! Email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com !

September 6, 2015 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Karen from CT said...

Beth, you should go if you can! Sounds like a awesome day of inspiration for following your dreams or discovering what they might be. I would love to attend but this year will not work for me. I am a grandmother and still love to visit here for inspiration. You are never to old to uncover and follow your dreams. I hope it is a smashing success and I can go next year.

September 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Cat H said...

Beth, you are NOT too old! I'm thinking you may be around my age or a little younger? I'm 54. The wonderful thing about attending an event at Jenna's is that it doesn't matter how old you are, what you do for a living, your relationship status, everyone is welcome! We all learn from each other and help each other. It is a wonderful time...highly recommend you go!

September 14, 2015 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger meigancam01 said...

Very nice article.
Like it.Thanks for sharing with us.

October 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger michele skinner said...

I read about you in Mary Jane's mag? a few years back. You are such an inspiration. I am so glad you have found your niche, your farm, your animals and your voice! Kudos to you Jenna.

October 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home