Sunday, August 23, 2015

Chicken in the Oven

The chicken is in the oven and I managed to spend another day at this farm. I consider that a fine night. What an amazing aroma, filling me with comfort and expectation. I have a honey mustard sauce to dip the bird in and some fresh tomatoes from my neglected jungle of a garden, but food is food and I am content. Honestly, it's hard to write with this house full of that smell. If men wore a cologne that perfectly mimicked what a roasting chicken smells like I would be done for.

I am wearing an eye patch and I don't care for it. by "patch" I mean a large bandaid cut into the shape of an eye patch but it'll do. It's one of several hacking jobs I needed to pull today. I cut my eye Friday night with my own finger nail taking out my contact lens and it is healing slowly. I have sterile eye wash with one of those delightful eye cups, lubricant eye drops, antibiotics, and this handy patch but it still stings like the dickens. I read that it can take up to five days to heal a bad eye abrasion but I am hoping that tomorrow morning there's more white than red in that right eye and I start looking less like one of the extras in the Walking Dead. Oh, the other life hack - I cut apart my computer charger cord that my kitten Bree chewed to pieces and re-wired it, saving thirty bucks. I felt like MacGyver.

This week the farm will be dedicated to the work of weeding, mucking out the goat pen, and setting up new pasture for the pigs in the woods behind the farm. Patty found electric hog fencing at the dump someone set aside for pickup and she gave me a couple hundred feet to borrow! What a score! The pigs are doing well and are mostly eating apples, goatmilk, cooking scraps and pig chow these days. The farm produces 60% of their calories and I am glad because feeding four pigs is a heck of a job.

I'm signing off for the night but I look forward to a productive and healthy week full of healing eyeballs and proper garden rows. The truck is back from the shop in Salem and has a brand new inspection sticker and I am in love. Over all, I'd say it was a fine weekend even with the eye patch. A farm girl takes what she is given, works with it, and finds a way to make it all better. I raise my haymason to you fine people out there and hope your weeks are just as keen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zola Crofoot said...

Yum!!!! Could you send me your address. I am considering a work shop and need to estimate travel time. I am in MI. Love all the good things you are doing. Pat the dogs for me!!


Send to my e-mail

August 24, 2015 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Hey Zola, I don't know your email? But I live in Cambridge NY!

August 24, 2015 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Jen B-K said...

Just a note to say that reading your blog has re-ignited my passion for writing on my own. I posted today for the first time since June. Writing has been a passion for, well, forever. I even teach writing at the college level. Farming too, is a passion and it should be a given that I will write and write about farming and homesteading, but the time, the energy, all the things get in the way! However, I've realized that I identify with you and your writing because In essence I too am running a farm alone (the hubs travels for work) and I come to your site to commiserate, quietly. I need to hear that there is someone else out there busting their back living this life. Now, off to dig some post holes before goat bedtime!

August 27, 2015 at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home