Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A Design Farm

This is a design-in-progess for the side of a food truck. I love it. It's one of the several clients I work with five days a week to get low-cost graphic design to farmers and foodies (or any small business for that matter), but since agriculture is the world that knows me best, most of my clients are in muck boots. This is fine by me, and slowly Cold Antler Farm is becoming a Design Farm. This actually warms my heart. Graphic design is what I went to college for and since graduating in 2005 I was able to travel all over the United States and live in three different regions (The South, The Pacific Northwest, and Northeast) because I had a trade that could travel. I worked for HGTV, Coldwater Creek, and Orvis as a web and email designer but what I have always loved is branding and logo work. Now I get to wake up, do chores, feed the dogs, and sit down at my laptop with a cup of coffee and a record on the turntable. I can work from the farm, earn extra income, and actually use my college degree as a part-time pig farmer. Snazzy.

If you would like to buy a logo for your own farm or as a gift, just let me know via email. The cost is now on sale for $250. That includes as many versions as you need to be happy and there is no hourly billing. The average time from seeing first comps to a complete design can be as short as 24-hours to 8 weeks. It really depends on what it is you are looking for and how long it takes to create it. This goat logo you see here was part of my shotgun sale I did on Facebook - to create a logo for only $150 within 24 hours (or three iterations, whichever came first). I am not running that sale right now, but that client was happy and went from payment to logo in under 5 hours!

Sometimes designs get very complicated and take longer. Some people are in no rush at all and others want the design yesterday but so far I have been keeping up with the demand and promoting the hell out of it on Facebook and Twitter.

So what does this have to do with homesteading? Everything. It's a cottage business I can take care of  from my own farm, serving the needs of a community lacking professional design for an affordable cost. I think any job you can do from wi-fi near your barn that helps pay the bills is an asset to anyone out there trying to make it as a Self-Employed Creative. Now while I am between book deals and trying to sell another book before winter - these logos are literally what is stopping threats to the farm and keeping the lights on. I feel lucky to have pictures of pigs and goats helping keep my own pigs and goats fed!

Do any of you out there have home businesses like this? Do you have a career that can make the transition to self employment? The arts aren't the only people out there consulting for sure and even teachers and nurses can leave their school districts or hospitals if they want to take up another version of their jobs at home. For many of us with Barnheart this is the dream. So how about yourself?


8 Comments:

Blogger Matt B said...

I would love to do this. I work in Information Technology full time and farm/homestead part-part time. I think it would be ideal to bring in some income from agricultural pursuits as well as off farm IT work. Maybe one day.

August 26, 2015 at 12:11 AM  
Blogger Mary Schroeder said...

Not to be a downer but how do you handle the taxes? Or maybe I just opened a can of worms that should be taken out back and buried! Any information would be helpful!

August 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I don't handle my taxes, but my accountant does! Since I am self employed I need to pay income tax on all design-earned income of course. All money that comes through paypal - be it a blog subscription, donation, or payment for a logo or workshop has income tax paid on it and I hire a professional to do it!

August 26, 2015 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Matt B - I hope you do!

August 26, 2015 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Mary Schroeder said...

Thanks for the info! (Not sure if the previous reply was sent ) Do you do the same with your pigs and meat birds? We only sell a dozen eggs a week so far. But I am looking to get a couple of feeder pigs in the spring. Any info on the business side would be helpful! I wish I was closer and had the money for your workshops. Would love to meet Merlin! Ty

August 27, 2015 at 12:52 AM  
Blogger Lizi Clawson said...

I've been following you ever since I read Made from Scratch, 8 months pregnant with my second child and dreaming of backyard chickens. That was 5 years ago. About time I commented, huh?

I have 13 years experience in the major medical field, and a lifetime of experience in natural medicine. My grandmother in Norway is a naturopathic doctor. I've treated all 3 of my children with all natural remedies that are legitimate and have hundreds of years of tried and true proof--no snake oil. And I mean everything from thrush to ear infections to colds to the flu to constipation--kids are a walking biology experiment! I have had over 1,400 patients that, after seeing several doctors who were stumped, I've been able to make recommendations that allowed their bodies to repair themselves. I've done the same with all of our animals. From cats and dogs to chickens and rabbits, every condition I've encountered I have been able to treat. All of this on the shoulders of giants--From my Norwegian grandmother and all of the farming neighbors I've worked with. Every spare hour of my childhood was spent at the Animal clinic in Northern Norway treating pets and going on farm calls.

I toy around with the thought of starting a blog and sharing this information. I know it's very much needed. I suppose I just get busy and distracted with kids and chores--I'm sure everyone on here can relate. I suppose I am waiting to see the need.

Liz

September 13, 2015 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Lizi Clawson said...

I've been following you for about 5 years. About time I commented, huh?

My whole life I've spent in medicine. Mostly natural, some trauma, some niche. I've been able to treat friends, family and my patients successfully for just about every condition except ALS. That one I'm still working on. I've treated all of our animals naturally as well. I have a 100% success rate with animals. I grew up half on a farm in Norway and half in the great state of Texas--both animal friendly farming communities.

I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog, sharing solutions for treating conditions. I quit my job with one of the top brain clinics in the nation, partially because I was tired of treating the conditions for 1400 patients with the credit going elsewhere--but mostly because I wanted to return to my roots of natural medicine and homesteading. I love people, but I missed animals. As I type there is a 5 week old kitten napping in a shirt cocoon on my lap, chickens clucking outside, dogs sleeping, plants growing inside and out, you know, the good life.

I guess I am searching the community to see if there's a need. Heck, I'm already on call for friends and family 24/7, might as well help my people.

Lizi

September 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Lizi Clawson said...

Sorry guys, I thought it deleted my first post and I resubmitted 😱

September 14, 2015 at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home