Saturday, July 18, 2015

The 50th Vlog...

The 50th vlog is coming up next. I can't believe it. Almost a year in and over a feature film's worth of editing - all on youtube. I ask you readers, what do you want to ask me for the 50th Vlog? Please submit questions here. Leave them in the comments and I will pick some to address. I want this vlog to be about you guys - the community. Why do you follow a girl in NY scraping by? What do YOU want from the blog/vlog? Has this site ever helped you? Please leave a comment if you have a minute. Your feedback is needed.


Blogger Washington Cube said...

Even though I was born and raised in a major city, I spent time on a working farm: my maternal grandparents, that has been in the family for...well...early 1700's. My mother told me growing up the only thing they bought (and this is a simplistic answer, but I got the drift) were coffee and sugar. They grew their grains and there was an old mill nearby, slaughtered their meat and had a smokehouse, grew crops for the livestock (pigs and chickens...cows and horses in pasture,) had every fruit tree and berry bush, etc. So in a way, following your journey reminds me of my grandmother who married and came to that farm from her own small city, and how she endured well into old age living in vast isolation. This is also why I cannot read say...Pioneer Woman or whatever she calls herself...large spread of cattle, but also married to something like the seventh richest man in Oklahoma. I hope you never tell us you are building a tv studio. Also, you are a true enthusiast and teacher and it comes across in your writing and vlogs. Every vlog I watch, I swear I look for Lucas. What a photobomber he is. I'll write more, but my blueberry muffins have to come out of the oven.

July 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

I just found you when googling 'rabbits'. I adored your turkeys and ironic face when they walk by. lol.

I have geese, ducks, bunnies, and a dog in a suburban / gangsta backyard. I left my community college office work/ job after discovering I have a vision problem and/ but primarily after I blew the whistle on the running of the office. You wouldn't believe what happened. Blowing the whistle doesn't make friends, and your definition of "Nice" was spot on. So, I need to learn to be assertive and nice, and not be run over and not take crap. (last week, my vision problem became a proprioception problem and nearly fell at an interview in Chicago. I'm sure the interviewer thought w.t.h.??!! but I managed to stay upright, but couldn't look down for some reason... I'm awaiting the "no way in hell" rejection letter.

So, over the past few years, I've read Salatin and others, and was told to stop talking about my geese. (I'm pretty sure it was all hormones btw...I couldn't stop talking about the geese (babies!)!) I peruse craigslist to see what's for sale, for free, and for tour. (Toured a YAK farm last week)

I enjoy reading and discovering animal stuff and gardening. I like the way you write about your life and your farm, that is six acres. I like that you have diversity within the six acres, and it makes me want to have my own six acres, but for now, I need to get a paying job. lol. And I'd like my man to show up. I don't need a horse or him on a horse. I would be nice if he'd show up. (any day now) Chop Chop!!

And I drink raw (cows)milk. Delish.

July 18, 2015 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Pamster said...

Wish you could strap a camera to your head and take us through morning and/or evening chores with you. Would certainly give my barn heart a shocking dose of reality. My kids want to know how you deal with all the poop. What can I say? 8-yr-old boys will be what they are. My 10-yr-old daughter would like to know how things smell. I'd like to know more about your gardens. Really enjoy your posts. Yours is the only Vlog I'll actually watch. Random turkey displays for the win!

July 19, 2015 at 12:08 AM  
Blogger daisy g said...

Has this blog ever helped me? Wow. In so many ways, Jenna. I started my blog because of yours. I discovered my own "Barnheart" because of you. I found out that I had spent years denying what was true for me and started turning it around. I'm writing a book about farming. Making a bit of income using my hands to create something from other folks' throwaways. Your determination and sheer grit has spurred me on to do things that I should have done long ago, had I only listened to my heart. You've been brave and wise enough to do that the first time 'round. My gratitude cannot be described in this little box. You have changed this gal's life for the better. It doesn't matter what the vlog is about, I know I'll glean something valuable from it. Yeah, I'd say you've helped a few folks out there... Rock on, farmer.

July 19, 2015 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger Candie W said...

I would enjoy seeing your bees and how you maintain and handle them. How you compost the waste from the farm. Your garden itself. Do you use a greenhouse to start seeds or is it done in the house? Do you purchase plants started already? Would like to see a map lay out of your six acres and how your using the space. Maybe future ideas you have and where it is and where you would like to see it. Love the idea above of you wearing a Go Cam and seeing your day through your eyes.

This blog has been a real inspiration in following the path my family has set out on. I enjoy your posts and the comments from others. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

July 19, 2015 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

Yes, what Pamster said. A day in the life.

July 19, 2015 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger tandos mama said...

Your gumption is admirable. Keep on. A thought from a rural follower with less than ideal internet service: when vlog replaces blog...lots of folks don't have access. Even if streaming video wasn't an access issue, I appreciate the extra thought and energy that goes into wordsmithing. Write on!

July 19, 2015 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

Yes, I'd love to hear the sounds of your farm!

July 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Joy in California said...

I have always enjoyed the compilation you set to music, about the first year on the farmth v-log could be another about the ensuing years?
And how are your cats doing....and jasper update?

July 19, 2015 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Mel Baker said...

A visual "day in the life" would be so great!!

July 19, 2015 at 10:55 PM  
Blogger Mel Baker said...

A visual "day in the life" would be great!!

July 19, 2015 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger Kevin s said...

I'd like more recipes and a lot more about the garden. Do you can? And if so maybe some on the canning. Also maybe another tour of the farm. You know the barn, chicken coop, horses shelter, etc., with narration of course.

July 19, 2015 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger NathanKristi Pyatt said...

A tour!

July 20, 2015 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Christina S said...

How?? I would like to live a similar lifestyle as you... I do not want to go to my office job 5 days a week- I want to raise pigs & sheep (raise chickens now), and live a lifestyle similar to, how did you make the transition? What are your sources of income? How much income do you make out of each source? What are your expenses? How do you manage everything? I do have a good understanding I what my expense are, what is needed, and I do have a three year plan, but I guess it would be nice to hear from you on how you manage everything :).

July 20, 2015 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Hi Jenna. Congrats on you accomplishment. I come here to read about your challenges and to encourage myself to work harder. I have a farm with only chickens and we board horses in the winter. It's a lot of work. But then when I think of how much you do all by yourself, what I'm doing doesn't seem that hard. My challenge is often that I work 40 hours a week in the city and have 2 gardens full of vegetables. I started reading this blog before we decided to move to the farm. Two winters ago was really hard for me and I remember you held the "sugar snap pea" challenge to grow something green in the thick of winter. It helped me through. I'd love to hear you play the fiddle in a vlog. :)

July 20, 2015 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Aimee Thuen said...

I like the idea of following you through chores. For those of us without animals but want them someday, that part is sort of mystifying. Also a bit about how you "train" livestock. There was a tidbit about that in your last pig post I appreciated. More along those lines. I also would like to know the bare facts of the financials and how you've acquired customers and figured out what work creates viable income. I'm totally in it for personal satisfaction and lifestyle but I'd like to be able to make money as well. Which parts of the upkeep requires you to bring in off-farm items? How do you source those items? And I love the community of people that is formed where ever you go. Any strategies involved? How do you meet country people? Being from town and with kids, I imagine meeting people looks much different.

July 20, 2015 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Carlos Rodriguez said...

goat care, in depth

July 20, 2015 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

Following up! I am reading the Woodlands book, and it has an ice intro thanking you for faith in him. (NICE JOB!)

July 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Dana "Aurora" Johnson said...

I would love to know what your future plans are. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10? Are there other animals (or varieties of animals) you'd like to work with but haven't yet? I'd also like to echo a visual "day in the life" idea. Strap that webcam to your laptop and walk us around your chores maybe? Would be fun to see!

July 23, 2015 at 11:34 PM  
Blogger Dana "Aurora" Johnson said...

I need to look before replying to things when I catch up on your blog - I see that's exactly what you did! Wonderful video!

July 23, 2015 at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home