Monday, July 27, 2015

Hot Coffee & Raining Apples!

It never gets old, that feeling of walking into the farmhouse after morning chores and smelling coffee on the stove. I always am pleasantly surprised at my own groggy preparation. Without thinking, as automatic as getting dressed and letting out the dogs to pee, I put some fresh grounds in the percolator and set it on the stove. This place is a wonderful contradiction of old and new. There is no drip coffee maker here, no espresso machine or Kuerig. There's just the old, flat-bottomed, stove top perker and I love it. There is no better way to enjoy a cup of coffee.

It's been hot this week and forecasted to get hotter. It'll be nearly 90 degrees but the hotter it gets the more I am reminded about winter preparations. I am in the process right now of trying to sell a new book, finishing up a novel for editing, and doing as much design, workshop, indie day, ad sales, lessons, and side projects as possible to prepare! The post below shares ways you can possibly help if so inclined. I'd sure appreciate it. But I have learned over the years that focusing on what stresses you out is the number one way to perpetuate it. So while I am advertising these workshops, lessons, etc a lot and hoping for the best response I am also enjoying the reason I work so hard to keep this farm: moments like this one I'm about to share.

This morning after the chores were done and the coffee had sated my morning roar - I went outside to walk into the sheep/horse pasture without the dogs. They were inside enjoying kibble and naps, but I wanted to give the ovine/equine side of things a morning treat. The apple trees are BURSTING this year in Washington County and I wanted to grab a heavy branch and shake a few dozen apples down for the gang. I walked in through the gate, where MOnday was standing to greet me. As far as bottle rams go, he's a star and seemed to nod to me as I passed him. I ran my hand down his back, checking for his condition inside that thick wool (he's a brick house, no worries there) and to say hello. I patted my side and he followed me uphill, knowing exactly what was to come...

I grabbed a particularly lush branch and shook it, hard. Out on the pasture apples rained and thumped about. The sheep baaed and bleated and ran to me in a happy stampede! Merlin backed out of his residency in the sheep shed and came trotting over. God's Body, may I never see a prettier sight in my life than a black draft horse coming towards. Everyone munched and mawed and I sat down there took in the moment. A girl, her flock, her horse, a bounty from her own trees. The view of the white farmhouse with a humble pile of wood already stacked. The lawn recently mowed, the water tubs all filled. I had a lot of work ahead yet today - farm, writing, and design - but what a pleasant burden that is? So I sat next to Sal and watched him chomp those apples in half. I scratched his ears and thought about the day I drove him to that rented cabin in Vermont in the back of my old Subaru. Almost a decade later, here we are.

And by the Gods, here we will stay.


Blogger David The Good said...

Marvelous. The simple joys of living on a homestead.

Those Keurig machines make so much waste it's embarrassing. Not for me.

Thank you.

July 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Calico said...

I almost cried. I was that touched by the scene you described and that is why I like you.

July 27, 2015 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Kelsie said...

Perfect. Thank you for writing this.

July 28, 2015 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Harmony Hill said...

You have done so well. It's so nice to read this joy.

July 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home