Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Going Places

There are a lot of reasons people get horses. My reason was always about this. To load up saddlebags with a meal, a drink, a book and ride away to a quiet place. I love being taken places, to ride with a destination and goal and then return home again. I feel the same way saddling up to visit neighbors or to ride through Washington County for an ice cream cone.

To me a horse is another way to move across the landscape. They are transportation with a soul. And while using a horse to go from point A to point B might be the oldest reasons us humans have been riding them, it has fallen out of favor. Most people today ride for form, for contests, for racing, or for looped trails. I get that, and have done most of it myself, but nothing is as satisfying to me as using a horse instead of walking or a car to go to a place.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin s said...

I understand what you are saying. I live in the city so it's not possible for me to ride a horse to the store, instead my transportation is my bicycle. I haven't driven a car for many years and just think riding outside of the steel coffin is so much better. It lets you interact with the environment instead of being closed off from it.

July 7, 2015 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger A.N King said...

Having a horse of my own, to coin your own words 'finding my unicorn', has always been the oldest facet in the gem that is this dream of a homestead. An American Quarter Horse is my true equine desire and I look forward with an aching, wishful, and patient heart to the day were I find him or her.

July 7, 2015 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

Definitely something I envy you for. Question though, when you take Merlin places, are there like...hitching posts in town? Do you picket him??

July 7, 2015 at 11:25 PM  
Blogger jules said...

I love that photo. I'd love to be in a position that I could ride a horse to the places I want to go. Good for you for taking advantage of your fortune.

July 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love this.
One of the farms down the road from ours has an old pop machine out front. On hot summer days we stop off for a cold drink on the way home from a trail ride. The horses never say no to a sip or two either.

I completely agree with you, but for the LONG hauls, I always feel that I love the IDEA of using my horses as transportation. After seemingly endless days of pushing cows up or down the canyons (8 straight hours in the saddle starts to feel a bit like torture) I came to the conclusion that I prefer the comfortable seat, the air conditioning, and the relentless growl of those 160 horses under my feet. You know, for the REALLY long hauls.

Beautiful picture by the way - nothing says 'invitation' quite like a saddled horse.

July 8, 2015 at 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home