Monday, July 20, 2015

Goats and Soap! What a day!

Yesterday's Goats and Soap workshop had a bunch of new faces and friends arrive at Cold Antler. We spent the 85-degree day outside here under the shade of the King Maple - learning to make milk-based soap from scratch and meeting the goats that make it happen. The photo above show's Yesh, my goat mentor, telling stories from her own experiences of the caprine kind.

I love teaching these classes. I like speaking in public, telling jokes, and sharing stories. And being able to do it here at my farm is something the 22-year-old version of me could never believe would be true a decade earlier. Lucas, if you look to the right, is right with us all. He can't turn down a crowd either.

It was a kind and lovely crowd! Folks coming from Vermont, Mass, and New York to see just how tricky, expensive, and hard it is to make soap this way. Making soap is information they could get easily online for free, but they don't come to Cold Antler just to learn a skill. They come to see the place they read about in books. They come to meet the animals. They come to see lye cook milk in person with the safety of distance and observation from someone who did it before. They come to pet Merlin, scratch Friday's ears, and maybe hold a throwing axe, fiddle, or bow for the first time. I hope Cold Antler remains a place of learning new things for a long time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carlos Rodriguez said...

tricky expensive and hard...did you mean how hard it isnt?

July 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger Jack Smith said...

Hi Jenna that looks great. However I am 14 years old and live in Australia, I love farming and come from a farming background. I love going to work with my Pa (grandpa) and uncle, they work with cattle so I get to experience great things with them. Farming is certainly very different in America as I have noticed in your blog. I got onto your blog through Chick Days and love reading about what is happening. I would love if you could reply.

From Jack.

July 21, 2015 at 1:55 AM  
Blogger RaineyDewey said...

Hi Jenna,
I'm happy to say I was one of the attendees at the Goats and Soaps workshop last Sunday. I found it fun and informative. It was great meeting you, Jenna, face-to-face along with all the other people in our group. Jenna, thanks for sharing a wealth of information and not being shy about sharing the missteps you made while learning. I also loved seeing your homestead and all the animals. I consider you a courageous and adventurous soul. Barnheart is an ailment I suffer from as well (happily so) and just being around the farm, smelling the mix of hay, fresh air and yes a little manure too was enjoyable. I'm truly glad to have been a part of it all. Thanks!
Rainey

July 21, 2015 at 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home