Friday, July 17, 2015

Dark Horse

I have fallen in love with writing every morning all over again. All this week I've been diving head first into this new manuscript, one I haven't even sold yet, because I have such a crush on it. It's all about what Merlin did to me - the changes he helped create in me. What he showed in me that turned me into the woman I am today from the confused and scared girl who bought him. I feel like I'm writing a screenplay, the images and story is so vivid in my mind. I work on this, on finishing up Birchthorn, and the blogs and it never feels like work. I am a writer. It's a compulsion I cant help.

Yesterday's ride with him was perfect. When the laptop was tucked away in the saddlebags and we were just moving, it feels like my own legs are carrying me. Perhaps this is where the myth of the centaur came from? It doesn't seem so far fetched when you know the animal so well. The road to becoming this close was backwards and twisted - so many idiotic beginner mistakes. I'm so proud of all of them.

The book I am writing about him and I is not for horse or farm people, it's for women scared to become. While Merlin is the reason I was able to change and grow so much in the past three years (note, also the past three years I was learning to be self employed, dealing with anxiety and body issues, and terrified of losing my farm) He was the most solid part of that time. And learning to ride a thousand pounds of black horse is what always showed me I could overcome the next obstacle. So far I have. And for those people who would read the book - perhaps their Dark Horse is something entirely different - but the story should carry. I hope so. It's the most important thing I've wanted to write so far, the most raw, and the most real.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jacquie said...

I can't wait to read it. I feel like I'm still that woman afraid to become.

July 17, 2015 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Joy said...

How about a jasper update?

July 17, 2015 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Oooh, goosebumps envisioning this book! The editor that turns it down is a fool!

July 17, 2015 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Ink and Dirt said...

I hope a publisher picks this up. I can't wait to read it!

July 18, 2015 at 12:12 AM  
Blogger Harmony Hill said...

Well, there are a lot of us out here who could use these written training wheels. Age does not matter. One can find herself petrified at any time. Just takes the right? mixture of ingredients to knock you out of your good orbit.

July 18, 2015 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Jenna, This post makes me smile. I understand so well what you are telling. I have often commented that you and Merlin would become a team given plenty of time together. The solitude of riding him, touches a place in your soul...a deep place indeed. May I put a link on my blog to this post?

July 18, 2015 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Heather Knoll said...

I can't wait for this one Jenna!

July 19, 2015 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara Techel said...

I can't wait to read your new book! Sounds beautiful and I love how Merlin taught you to become. I've been fortunate to have had the same experience with one special dog and write about it too. To this day I feel the deepest gratitude I find hard to explain in words. I've loved all your books and look forward to this new one! Keep writing! -Barbara

July 25, 2015 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I can't wait to read your book - I hope any publisher realises you have a good audience waiting for you :-)

July 27, 2015 at 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home