Tuesday, July 14, 2015

428 Pieces of Sunday Candy

Four hundred and twenty-eight bales were put up in the Wesner's barn Sunday. What a fine number that is! A number I know intimately, since I had my hands on every single one of those 428 bales. So did every other stalwart worker out in the fields. We started working around 2:45 in the afternoon and our scrappy team of seven moved three loaded hay wagons well into the evening, well past dinner time. We didn't jump into the river until 7PM. The hours between walking out to their barn and swimming were filled with the efforts of a tight community I consider family. Mark and Patty, of course, and four of their neighbors. Each bale weighing a minimum of forty pounds and personally handled by each and every one of us as it made its way from the giant hay wagons and into the barn, stacked neatly as legos. It's a feat I never tire from taking part in. We get sweaty to gloriously disgusting levels. The kind of sweaty that make jumping into cold river water a baptism. Masochism doesn't have to be a bad thing, folks. Us out here in the fields, farms, and furrows know that exquisitely.

My gig all afternoon was out on the wagon, climbing up as high as twenty-five feet in the air and grabbing and throwing down bales to then hand to Patty, who was stationed at the chute of the hay elevator. So after throwing and grabbing them off the pile I would deliver each one over to Patty to send up into the barn on a borrowed, beloved, elevator that then spit them into the barn for the stacking team to deal with. Some of us took turns going inside and outside but I loved being in the full sun, dripping, smiling, and singing. I had the hook from Sunday Candy stuck in my head. The elevator was too loud for anyone to hear it, but I sang for the baling twine anyway.

You gotta move it slowly 
Take and eat my body like it's holy
I've been waiting for you for the whole week 
I've been praying for you, you're my Sunday candy 

Things are going pretty damn good around here. I have no amazing news, book deals, or imported horses to announce to you fine people. I'm just keeping on. Things are tight but that will change and I always figure it out. I have a lot of projects in the works and am writing a lot to try and sell a new book about Merlin and Me, as well as finishing up Birchthorn (new chapters posted this week, by the by). So much fun terrorizing those people. I get it, Joe Hill. I get it.

It's summer. I'm writing. I'm creating. I'm riding my horse. I'm singing. I'm laughing. I got amazing friends. I'm wearing jeans I didn't fit into for the last 4 years. I'm running. I'm rocking out. Last night the border collies and I had a dance party to Pitbull's Timber which lasted a good triple repeat worth of singing/barking at the top of our lungs. Feel however you want to feel about pop music and celebrities with dollar signs in the spelling of their names but if you can listen to that song and not start dancing in your living room you are an android and should be melted for parts for us among the living. It's no Sunday Candy, but we can't all be so damn sweet.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nushi said...

So jealous you're finished with your haying in just 6 hours!

Any chance us poor schmucks who missed out on the crowd funding campaign for Birchthorn can get in on it still somehow? I'm dying to know how it goes!

July 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

NUshi! it's just the first day! we do it on a few occasions during the summer. More to come, and more neighbors' farms!

Birchthorn is 80% done and the lat 10% are just for me and the editor, then after everyone who pledged has their copy of the books (in whatever format) I will figure out how to sell the ebook. One step at a time!

July 14, 2015 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Also, love your profile pic!

July 14, 2015 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

You're looking strong and beautiful and healthy and happy these days!

July 14, 2015 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thank you Robin! I feel strong, beautiful, happy and healthy lately! Just back from a 4-mile jog with a solar shower chaser. Have some more work to do and luck to wish for today but so looking forward to dinner and a movie when the chores are done!

July 14, 2015 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Jenna, I understand the hard work of haying and getting it inside the barn. Here in Oregon, we had an early year for hay, In early June. We are much older than you and hire 2 high school kids to work for us...and we spent the dollars to purchase a hay elevator. That piece of machinery made a huge difference in the work. The elevator was placed so that it was right at the door where the hay trailer parked, and moved the hay to the stack. There was much less human handling, yeah! We put in about 1000 bales of 40 lb grass hay bales. BTW, your post is great, I am happy that things are good for you. Sharon

July 14, 2015 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home