Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Missing Horse

I got home from Tae Kwon Do class this morning and saw my flock of sheep eating their grass on the hillside. I smiled. Sheep eating grass makes me smile. I had a nice workout, had enjoyed the company of my friends, and had a full afternoon of writing and design work to look forward too. Life was good.

And I didn't see Merlin anywhere.

Merlin weighs about a thousand pounds and is pitch black. When I pull into the driveway he whinnies, his deep brasso profundo version of a whinny, that is. It's one of those sounds you just get used to. You know, the way you get used to a cars engine when you turn the ignition. But Merlin didn't whinny at me today and I didn't see him anywhere? It was as odd as that first time someone drives you off in an electric car and that engine hum is gone.

So I walked the whole 3-acre pasture. I looked in his pole barn, I looked up at the sheep shed windows, and I looked under all his favorite shade trees. No sign of Merlin anywhere.

I yelled out his name. No whinny. I grabbed a pail of grain and shook it. No whinny. Then I walked all around the property with that pail, shaking and yelling his name. Still no sight or sound of the dark horse. Now panic was setting in. I heard a neighbors lawn mower and headed over to their property. I waved hello and asked if he'd seen my horse and he shook his head, somewhat bemused. I was now really worried. I had not seen Merlin on the road or in any of the roadside fields or horse paddocks. There were several horses on this road. Where had this animal gone? Was he stolen? Did he head for the Highway? A list of fear ran through my head. I grabbed a lead rope and halter and my grain pail and started combing the area.

An hour into my search finally found him. I had all but given up the foot and was coming back to get the truck to drive in circles around the mountain. As I opened the door to my truck I saw his giant black ass backing out of the fairly small sheep shed. He had broken into it and had been napping inside in the shade lying down on the black dirt. So I couldn't see him when I looked up at the windows...

Horses are assholes.


Blogger Sam I Am...... said...

Well, male ones at least! LOL! So glad all is okay as I remember many a time worrying sick about animals gone missing and it didn't always have a happy ending.

June 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger margaret minetti said...

glad u found him ,maybe he is getting deaf, or he has that male selective hearing thing!

June 17, 2015 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Mel Baker said...

Oh Merlin, you little devil. Don't ever scare us like that again!!

June 17, 2015 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Fernando Yáñez said...

I feel for you…been there. Growing up at my parents farm, the horses getting out was common enough, especially the smart ponies. More than once they gave a fright and stayed a couple of nights lost.

Really enjoying your blog, new reader and subscriber to your youtube channel, probably get your books soon.

Keep up the good writing!

Cheers from Chile

June 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger Charlotte Boord said...

He certainly keeps you on your toes! I'm glad he wasn't 'lost' lost.

June 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

Made me chuckle.
My library has purchased your book, Title: Cold Antler Farm : a memoir of growing food and celebrating life on a scrappy six-acre homestead Author: Woginrich, Jenna.

So, I'm headed to the library.

June 17, 2015 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

Made me chuckle


My library emailed me to let me know they bought your book.

Title: Cold Antler Farm : a memoir of growing food and celebrating life on a scrappy six-acre homestead Author: Woginrich, Jenna.

I'm headed to the library.

June 17, 2015 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Chris said...


June 18, 2015 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Harmony Hill said...

Phew. Cannot even imagine the cortisol and adrenaline cocktail that was coursing through your body a d soul.

June 18, 2015 at 6:07 AM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Ugh, that is such a feeling of dread when you come home and they are no where to be seen!! Glad for the happy ending! Its amazing what these big fellas put us through isn't it? But oh how much we love our steads.

June 18, 2015 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger EMMA said...

Haha glad you found him - how funny he was right there just taking a nap! - must have got you worried all the same!!

June 19, 2015 at 2:49 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Hahahahaha Jenna !! Glad I am not the only one who deals with their shenanigans !! They ARE assholes. :) But we love them anyway. I have 8 of them and mostly mares. Mare is a four letter word. LOL

June 26, 2015 at 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home