Monday, June 1, 2015

Soap Season Has Begun!

I made four pounds of goats milk soap this week, and I think this was my favorite. Most of the bars were unscented, just milk and the fats and oils used to create this creamy beauty bar. But these bars made with a dragon mold were some just stunning to me. They are lavender scented with herbs crushed and mixed into the uncured raw soap. They firm up over night in a big two-pound mold and then were sliced into these bars. Now they are curing and should be ready to use in a few weeks.

Soapmaking used to be a scary thing, and taxing on my nerves. I was scared of the lye, of the fumes, and worried about following directions (I am horrible at following directions). But I learned the "Jenna Way" to make soap and the results are beautiful. I got a recipe down that takes 10-20 minutes from milk to pouring into molds that I use on the farm. This means time isn't the factor in their creation - just the ingredients are. But local soap making shops here sell bulk oils and fats so I might be able to sell a couple hundred bars this milking season and have gifts covered for the coming holidays of Autumn into Winter.


Blogger Kate said...

Soap-making is scary to me too and my first venture was not a success. Might you be willing to share your recipe and technique? maybe in a vlog?

June 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger Mel Baker said...

Those bars look terrific!! I was also scared to start making soap, but once I started, I couldn't stop. Hope you sell a load of the stuff!!

June 1, 2015 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Jenna, I make cold process soap too. The first few batches were kinda scary...but I got the whole thing down to a good system now. A good handmade soap is wonderful, and really good on a person's skin, in fact we will not use any commercial bar soap, they are just a bunch a chemicals and hard on the skin. Your mold in very nice. I just make a large flat chunk, and cut the bars out of it for our use.

June 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Wow, they are beautiful! I would love to learn from you too in vlog fashion if you're so inclined.

June 1, 2015 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger Petra said...

Hi Jenna, Would love to come over and make some soap at Coldantlers...... but I live in the Netherlands it's a little bit far to come over so I'm with Kate it would be so nice to see a vlog or a recipe.
These dragons look so nice!!

June 2, 2015 at 4:14 AM  
Blogger Kaye said...

I would buy some of that lovely looking soap in a Veryork minute!

June 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Kevin s said...

Where did you get the molds? The dragons are awesome.

June 2, 2015 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Katlyn said...

I'd be interested in buying some soap! I've never tried goat's milk soap before, but eventually I think I might like to try making it (and getting some of my own goats). Should probably find out if I like how it feels first!

June 5, 2015 at 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home