Thursday, June 4, 2015


Gibson was my first puppy, the only dog ever raised from 8 weeks into adulthood. Since he was a border collie, I thought I knew what it was like to raise a ball of pure agricultural energy. I was wrong! Gibson was a monk compared to this little tiger. Friday is a little tornado of teeth and paws and growls and tail wagging! She is a delight, and she sleeps as hard as she plays. This morning I took her from the crate and let her sleep against Gibson and I and she was out cold, her small belly rising and falling against Gibson's mane of a coat. I inhaled that puppy smell and asked her if she was getting all the love she needed? Her reply was a happy growl and half-hearted nip on my cheek, too tired to really snap. I kissed her head. I nicknamed her Smalls. Her mother is 37lbs and her father is 47lbs, so I expect she'll end up a good ten pounds thinner than Gibson's working weight of 54lbs. He's large for a Border Collie, standing 25inches tall.

She runs around outside for sections of the morning chores with Gibson. So far she is allowed to help out with Meat Bird feeding and carrying hay to the horses and sheep, but she was a little intimidated to help with milking the goats. Yesterday she watched as the 160lb beasts jumped right past her up onto their stanchions and she yelped and ran behind a hay bale for safety from the giant horned monsters. I milked and she poked her head out now and again to watch. Sometimes we need to work up our courage.

She is doing so well and is such a joy. I can't say enough what a mood changer it is having such a darling pup here on the farm. And the timing of coming after lambs and kids are sold and in their new homes - perfect. She is learning all about chickens and geese and goats and sheep - but slowly and with Gibson as her mentor. Not a bad gig for a pup to land.

Oh! To whomever mailed the package of puppy treats and toys, thank you! What a fun surprise in the mail today. Friday loves them! Here she is with her treat ball, one paw on it and the other watching the Freedom Rangers. Farm girls play hard and work hard!


Blogger Mel Baker said...

What a cute nickname!! So happy for you!!

June 4, 2015 at 1:06 PM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

I can't wait to watch her grow. You sound like a new parent - and you really are! I'm glad she is bringing you so much joy!

June 4, 2015 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Dangerous Dreams Farm said...

If you want a working dog, keep her away from the livestock for now. Bad experiences like the one you described with the goats can turn them off for life or negatively impact their ability to work in the future.

June 4, 2015 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

DDF - I assure you she is not phased! She jumped right at the goat pen today! But dog should be put in a dangerous situation before they are old enough to work stock. I was right with her the whole time.

June 4, 2015 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger Riley Serres said...

Does Merlin have another friend now? I noticed you said horses, if so I'd love to hear what kind you ended up getting!

June 4, 2015 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger KiwiGirl said...

Have you got anew horse?

June 4, 2015 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Dangerous Dreams Farm said...

I've seen a lot of pups like that ruined. Even if she seems fine, keep her out of the pen. You want a dog that knows it can move elephants, you need to raise them right.

June 4, 2015 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

DDF - noted.

June 4, 2015 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

No new horse here - just Merlin. Typo. Ive been taking her with me everywhere including Patty's and there are two horses there. But when I do get a second horse you'll all hear all about it.

June 4, 2015 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

My thoughts, exactly, especially the "baby belly" part ;) She sounds like a wonderful little pup, and how lucky she is to have a home with you at CAF.

June 4, 2015 at 11:14 PM  
Blogger Siberian said...

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, because it is not intended to have a naysayer feel to it, but is Gibson 'maxed out' in regards to his herding skills/abilities? I am just wondering why the second herding dog? (it seemed like he's not fully utilized in that department but of course I don't know what I don't know).

Again not trying to sound like I am doubting, just wondering.

Either way enjoy the pup. Nothing quite like puppy energy.

June 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Siberian - that didn't come off as any way negative but thank you for considering my feelings. The answer is that I wanted a second dog because I have always lived with two dogs, and Annie is turning 16 soon. I adore Annie but I need to be realistic about her lifespan. So instead of getting a dog in a place of grief after losing one - I'd rather plan, save, and pick the right dog for my lifestyle. Getting the puppy wasn't about utility as much as family and while I will train her to herd and hopefully some trialing she is here to be Gibson's right hand woman and be the "second" dog when Annie passes on - with an overlap that does't leave Gibson as the only dog.

June 6, 2015 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Guys I will post a vlog about her soon!

June 6, 2015 at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home