Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Recreational Authorities

I need to learn to embrace the lush. It’s hard. Yesterday I wrote about how alive things are (and therefore how scrappy things feel) and yesterday I was okay with it. But today it is raining and all that too-high burdock and thistle that needs to be whacked down just has me a little grumpy. I wonder why we do that to ourselves? Why we put on this pressure to have a nice lawn when we live in the middle of friggin' nowhere?! Maybe five cars (and that includes the mail man) drive past my house on a week day. There are no sidewalks. There is no HOA breathing down my neck. And yet I feel the need to tidy up.

Since I don’t have a working mower at the moment, I hire my friend’s 13-year-old son to bring his mower and weed whacker. He can tame the entire farm in under two hours. Once a month is in the budget for such a luxury and I kinda wish the appointment was sooner. I think the burdock is conspiring with the thistle to take over the joint…

In other news: I have a black jungle fowl hen sitting on a clutch of eggs and the geese have started molting. What a thing to have dark feathers all concentrated in one angry nest and an entire lawn of downy feathers. If you drive by it looks almost like the apple trees are blooming again. They aren’t. I just own geese.

I had big plans to ride tonight with Merlin post work and chores, but storms are moving through the area. I guess I’ll finally organize some of the drawers in the kitchen instead. I really am trying to get this place in order but dammit if riding horses isn’t more important than organizing drawers. May the man I someday marry care a little more than I do about order, or this place might just compost itself into the ground.

Friday went to the vet this morning for her shots (round 1) and was a champ. Afterwards we headed to the bank, Post Office, Wayside store, and other odd errands about town. I bring her in and don’t bother asking if it’s okay to carry a puppy in my arms. If you ask permission you risk giving someone else the power to tell you what to do. I’m not a big fan of giving people that authority when it comes to trivial matters like carrying puppies on my shoulder into the Post Office. When it comes to taxes - I have an accountant. We pick our battles.

Anyway, Friday was welcome everywhere and I was happy to share her with some of the retail folks and tellers. They gave her a biscuit at the bank and rubbed her tummy at the Post. I bought some Harry Potter stamps and mailed a mortgage payment today - no small feat for this farm girl. I’m still not caught up but working on it. That work is paying off every day in logos, writing, vlogs, workshops, and farm work. It’s been five years since I signed the mortgage papers and I’m just a little behind. Not perfect, but not too shabby for one woman with a problem with recreational authorities.

Not bad at all.


Blogger Christina S said...

I am in total agreement with you on the lawn / yard thing. We live in the middle of the woods, an I feel I need to mow the lawn weekly with a lawn mower from the 70's that has no guard to keep rocks, dirt, grass, and all other debris out of your face am eyes! Weekly, I litterly dress for battle with the lawn. I put on goggles, a bandanna over my face, a hat, overalls tucked into tall boots, and the largest flannel shirt I can find!!! I mow the lawn, dirt, and all weeds I can find that are out of place. I feel like the "maybe acre" of grass takes me an hour to mow, and for what, just so I can have the satisfaction of having a nice lawn in case someone stops by?? It is actually gratifying to look out and see a nice clean yard, and clean garden...but it's a pain in the ass to get there ;).

Oh, did mention it was a push mower from the 70's...which means it's a real push mower...not self propelled....and I think it's the same size as me!!! Okay, I am done with my rant...you just touched on a sore topic with me :). We won't even get started on the inside of my house....
Glad to hear animals are healthy, and doing well. Hope you have a good week!!! The 4th is on it's way!!! We are butchering 20 meat chickens next week so our weekend will be making sure we are all prepared for that :)

June 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I like the look of tall grass on my lawn. It helps me pretend I live on a field in the middle of no where if I stand just so. Until I get a letter from the city reminding me that the grass is to be kept sub 12" at all times. And in Sunny FL that means cutting the grass at least once a wk. Oh well :) Enjoy knowing, as you said, that you and the animals and the mailman are pretty much the only people who will ever see your tall weeds and that you'll never hear boo about it from a city official or nosy neighbor.

I hope you don't mind if I share my two cents on taking dogs into stores.... 10 yrs ago I would have absolutely agreed with you and would have been happy to see a cute border collie puppy anytime, anyplace. But then I met and married my husband. He is severely allergic to dogs and cats, and even just a brief meeting with one in the store is enough to send him into an allergic reaction and cause him to itch, not be able to breathe and have headaches. He'd have to then take Benadryl, and then, that would make him sleepy and pretty much ruin the rest of his day.
It makes me so upset to see non service animals in places where they don't have to be. I assume most of the time that people just don't understand and wouldn't be so callous as to not care if they ruin someone else's day by taking their pet shopping with them. But I know some people truly wouldn't care. You live in a smaller farming community so there's probably next to know one you'd meet in a day that would be severely allergic to animals. But it's just something to think about.

All the Best! -Erin

June 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger holmgrrl said...

Can your sheep/goats eat the lawn?

June 30, 2015 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger aart said...

It's not so much about a 'pretty lawn' as it is about.... what a frickin' PITA it is to cut when it gets too long, and sssooo lllluuuushshsh.

If ennui hits on the one dry day amongst all the rainy ones, highly likely, I'm in for hours of creeping along and piles of damp, stinkily molding clippings left behind all over....once it *does* stop raining long enough for the plants to dry in the humidity, the taller the vegetation the longer it takes to dry.

It's vicious circle, I tell ya! ...and *then*?..... it GROWS BACK!!! It seems a Sisyphus situation. OK, that's my lush mowing rant(mostly tongue in cheek), thanks!

July 1, 2015 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

The geese will eat grass for free! :)

It sounds like you're having a heart-conversion that is found with the commitment of your farm choice. Mow your lawn to your standards. It will make you feel better. Don't do it for the five or six who drive by your place.

Next time you take time off from your fabulous blog just tell us! That way weren't not checking in (all the time). lol.

Do keep making blogs and vlogs. I'm diggin' all of it. Please share a secret to controlling the fly population. I've been bringing in carbonaceous material(aka grass clippings)per Salatin, to keep the odors down, but fly?? How do we keep the stinker out of here?!?!?! (just in time for the 4th of July BBQs) (vlog topic)

My favorite part of the day is 5-5:30 am when I let the bunnies and ducks out to roam. The goose doesn't get let out until 7 pm-- the legal time to mow a lawn in my neighborhood (noise-wise) The gooseness-of-the-goose is awfully loud and I don't know if my neighbors dig them as much as I do!!

July 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home