Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Swap Day!

The Poultry Swap was this weekend here in Veryork! I was able to sell Ida's kid and make enough money to cover my seller's fee and come home with a big tray of kale six-packs. I didn't make much cash but I did save myself from a long haul of bottle feeding another baby and came home with a LOT of vegetable futures for the kailyard. As far as new animal purchases - just this one Bourbon Red Tom Turkey. He must have been raised somewhere with serious fencing because his tail is a mess and his breast is raw to the skin. He was cheap (I guess his appearance was why) but besides these cosmetic flaws he is a healthy and gorgeous bird! He and Lucas are already old drinking buddies (they drink side by side in the creek) and the little red hen that Lucas bred has her eggs in an incubator. I am hoping the Bourbon Red/Bronze eggs hatch and I can raise a few folks' Thanksgiving Dinners but this is her first clutch and I am not sure how successful Lucas's attempts were? I guess we'll find out!

The Giant Chin rabbit I had bred did not kindle. I'm not sure why? She was bred again yesterday and I hope that by the end of this month there are rabbit kits in her hutch. If not she will most likely go into the freezer and I'll try another doe. Since she has been bred by two other bucks and she hasn't kindled I am assuming it is her issue and not theirs. So that will be the choice to make after the end of this month. She's a pretty and tough little rabbit so I hope she pulls off a humble litter.

Still waiting on Bonita to kid...


Blogger jules said...

Jenna, maybe your rabbit is too fat? I understand that can do it, as well as just not being in the mood. Have you checked her parts for color? We've got a Champagne D'Argent doe that just will not have buns. She's one of our first does, so we give her ALOT of slack, but she's only had one litter back when we first got her. I keep reminding her that she could be on toast but that doesn't seem to help. We've got plenty more mommas, so she's not destined for freezer camp quite yet. Glad you gave yours another chance. Hopefully this time is the charm.

May 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger ecogrrl said...

If you're willing, there are some great rabbit rehoming groups in NY who could likely provide a good home to your doe. Her personality sounds like a good fit for a family somewhere.

May 5, 2015 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger ecogrrl said...

If you're interested, there are good rabbit rehoming groups in NY that could give her a second home. She sounds like a good fit for a family, personality-wise.

May 5, 2015 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I will look into the weight thing? But she doesn't seem fatter than any other rabbits I have had.

May 5, 2015 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

She isn't a pet rabbit. She's a meat rabbit. I would eat her.

May 5, 2015 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger Cat H said...

I was really hoping Bonita would kid while we were there. Would LOVE to see that!

May 5, 2015 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger ecogrrl said...

Thanks for the snide response. I meant she could be a good pet for someone else. If you don't need the life, why take it?

Joining the many who don't read your blog anymore. See ya.

May 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Cat - she still has not kidded! I was out there this morning and half expected to walk out to see kids in the hay.. nope. I will soon give up the idea of milk all together and offer dirigible rides.

May 7, 2015 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

I wasn't being snide at all. I was being honest. I don't think it's responsible as a meat farmer to hand them over to be someone's pet when it could be in my freezer - providing me meals and saving me some money, and therefore not taking up space and a place of the many rabbits bred just to be pets. No one is eating French Lops or Lionmane bunnies but they are eating Giant Chins, Californians, and New Zealands - that is what those breeds are created for.

Do you really think my response was meant to hurt you? Or do you think I really plan on eating a meat rabbit and didn't want the readership to think I hand out my food livestock as pets?

Because I assure you the answer is the second - and the idea of eating a rabbit is what upset you.

Recreational offense is the new American Pastime.

May 7, 2015 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger jonkatz said...

Ecogirrl,I was sorry to see your very snide comment. If you had read Jenna's blog at all, even for a week, you would have known her rabbits are not pets, and she does need their lives, it is her sustenance. How curious a world when strangers on the Internet feel they can judge people they do not know from their computer screens and tell them what to eat and how to live. And then, you refuse to read someone because you have a different idea about animals and food? Maybe you need a different country to live in, I think the idea here is that it is okay to have your own ideas. They call it freedom, how quaint. I think Jenna is well served if you find some other blog to read.

May 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Johollister said...

If the bunny goes in the freezer, I've got this great recipe for braised rabbit with green sicilian olives I'd love to try out on you.

May 7, 2015 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Cat H said...

Jeezus ecogirl - you really need to stop taking things so personally. You obviously haven't been following Jenna or you would have known that these are not her pets. Gibby, Annie, Brianna and Bo are pets - actually they're broke roommates who don't drive, but that's another story.
Jenna treats all her animals with great care and in return those animals sustain Jenna. See ya later alligator....don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

May 7, 2015 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger jules said...

Jenna, I guess with all your openness on the blog, you get those snide comments from folks who are far removed from where their food comes from. We've never had someone suggest that we re-home our Cd'As instead of eat them, but we sure get lots of "Oh! I could never eat rabbit" or "I don't/won't eat rabbit" before they even try it. I figure their loss, more for me!!

May 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home