Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Eating In: Goat Cheese & Spinach Omelet

What you see here is breakfast, an omelet stuffed with fresh goat cheese and spinach. Besides the butter that greased the pan and some salt and pepper, the whole meal came from this farm. That little iron spork, that was hand made by the Blacksmith that came here last fall for Antlerstock. This here was a meal created on a small piece of land and I wanted to share its small story on this warm morning. We'll start out in the kailyard...

Out here behind the barn at Cold Antler Farm there is enough sunlight to grow hardy greens but also plenty of shade, depending on the time of day. Tall locusts hover here and keep the winter greens of the kailyard from bolting too soon. I grow salad greens, peas, kale, broccoli , spinach and cabbage. They do well back here and when weeding is done there are targets (see them there in the background?) for axe throwing and archery. Never a dull moment - or bodkin point - here.

I plucked out a few favorite leaves from the spinach, which is fresh-planted this year and seems to be coming along swimmingly.

I showed off my little harvest to the goats as I walked past their pen on my way back into the farmhouse. After all it was their milk I strained, added culture too, and strained in cheesecloth to make the fresh chevre that would melt inside the omelet alongside the chopped spinach. I told them how beautiful they were. I meant it.

Down at the goats’ feet were this year’s laying hens. Six new additions of the 15 total being raised up to add to my flock of 12. I have a mix of green, blue, brown and white egg layers but right now all my green and blue eggs are being sat on by broody hens so just the white eggs are available. They still are delicious as can be from backyard birds and so I set three of them, my leaves, and a nice chunk of goat cheese on the plate. This would be breakfast in minutes!

And there it is. Eggs from my hens. Spinach from my garden. Cheese from my goats. And a fork from a blacksmith I bartered for a used longbow. You see months of animal care and the birth of this year's kids. You see hours in the kailyard, and the dirty feet I proudly sport unshod. And you you see the simple good that comes from a meal you know so well. Mornings like this, and meals like these, are what make this place worth all the effort! Time to dig in!

9 Comments:

Blogger Nushi said...

So beautiful and inspiring! Thanks for the story, journey and great recipe, Jenna!

May 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

You're welcome! Thanks for reading!

May 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Cindy Wehrwein said...

I lost your connection for a long time, but glad I found you again. Do you still do the falconary project?

May 26, 2015 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Molson said...

You did this all by yourself, and never gave up[!!!!!!!!!

Looks delicious..........Ummmmmmmm

May 26, 2015 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Welcome Back, Cindy!

May 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thank you, Molson!

May 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Sam I Am...... said...


What a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that must give you! And I bet it tastes delicious! Congrats!

May 26, 2015 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

Good golly gosh, every day I think I can't get more jealous of you...

May 26, 2015 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger aart said...

That's not a fork....it's a threek, hhahahaha.

Get it??? Four tines is a fork and 3 tines is a threek :D

Sorry, I've got a very special threek myself.

May 27, 2015 at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home