Sunday, April 12, 2015

So Much Better!

So if you watch my videos then you already know about the last ride with Merlin. A week ago (It rained here all week) Merlin and I had quite the disagreement about how horses should be enjoyed. He felt they should do whatever they want, buck, crow hop and bitch. I felt they should walk quietly in a straight line. And the reason it went so poorly was I thought I could skip the ten-to-fifteen minutes of ground work I learned from Natural Horsemanship Trainer (and farrier!) Dave. Today I didn't skip it. We worked for twenty minutes or so and I felt and saw the change in his attitude. Then he was groomed, tacked, and worked again in his tack. I wanted to do this to see if it was the gear he was wearing that caused his attitude change. It wasn't! So we went for a short 1/2 mile muddy trail ride and there were very few problems. There was no tugging or hollering. There was no circling or fear. That time on the ground made all the difference. I also wore a helmet for the ride (to relax a little) and all went so well. I even snapped a selfie afterward!


Blogger daisy g said...

Sounds like it was much easier-for both of you. What a thrill to go horseback riding.

April 13, 2015 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Victoria Thomas said...

The queen of England was riding a Fell pony today, and at her age. It looks like a shaggy Merlin.

April 13, 2015 at 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home