Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sheep Are Good

Sheep are good. They provide so much to the small holder and ask for very little in return. The learning curve is steep, but the rewards are fantastic. What other animal provides you with so much yet only desires simple shelter, grass, water, and sunlight to thrive? From a trio of sheep (a ram and two ewes) your small piece of land can enjoy wool, meat, fleeces, horn, lambs, milk, and complimentary lawn mowing. They are generally quiet and peaceful and if you have a stock dog you just became a tiny god in his eyes. I have been keeping sheep for a few years now, since 2009, and even with all the mistakes, heartbreak, and sore muscles I must say I have learned more from these critters than anything I else I raise for the table around here. I am proud of the growing flock at Common Sense Farm and of the three romping ram lambs here all sold and on their way to new farms in the next few weeks. Yes indeed, sheep are good.

photo by Miriam Romais

4 Comments:

Blogger Sam I Am...... said...

You are living the life I would live if I wasn't 66 with rheumatoid arthritis, lol! But at least I can enjoy your blog and all your animals and I love the fact that you are doing it on your own except for common neighborly give and take which is how it should be.
You go girl!

April 7, 2015 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Christina S said...

So glad you posted this:). I am going to be getting my first two sheep in the fall. I am super excited, and a bit nervous...

April 8, 2015 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Autumnprepper said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Autumnprepper said...

Just Wondering if you know Teddy Moritz? I hunted with her many moons ago with terriers...

April 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home