Wednesday, April 8, 2015

New Vlog! Should Goats Be Dehorned?


Blogger Maralee Childs said...

Always glad to see someone addressing the dehorning (or disbudding as its called when done to kids )issue. I take my dairy kids to the vet and it's done under anesthesia. But only because I have a goat vet ( they are rare) and I can afford it. It is NOT a cost effective thing to do if your farm is your income. I would love it if we didn't have to but in the u.s. ( at least on the west coast) a dairy goat WITH horns is a meat goat with a short life expectancy. Disbudding ensures a longer, healthier, better chance for a well cared for life. Something I want for all my animals.

April 9, 2015 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Great advice as always Jenna.

April 9, 2015 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger Michelle Schwarzin said...

We've raised and milked Nubians for 10 years. We have never dehorned. Our goats are pretty gentle and accustomed to being handled. We have not had a great deal of trouble with predators, but there are packs of coyotes around and should they get into the pasture I want my goats to have something to fight back with -- their horns. Plus, those horns make great handles. So that's my two cents on goat horns.

April 9, 2015 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I've been researching goat keeping and have seen this issue come up. Thanks for talking about it candidly and putting both points of view and your preference out there. You mentioned that milking can be dangerous if they are not de horned, but is it still as dangerous if you use a milking stanchion?

April 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Jen B-K said...

Thanks for explaining this....I get this question all the time when folks visit our farm. I just recently had a front tooth broken out by a milker whose disbudding wasn't thorough. It was a painful and expensive experience for me and for her too. We've had others with scurs and they inevitably get broken off or caught...sometimes necessitating a vet visit....painful and expensive for them too.

April 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home