Monday, April 6, 2015

I Stink.

This Monday morning started with a trip into town for feed and hot coffee. Soon as I closed the door on the sun-warmed truck I could smell....myself. Hooo. This single-woman-farmer-self-employed thing can get away from you. I was wearing a worn in shirt (with hand-mended patched parts), tights, kilt, and canvas vest. The same worn in shirt, tights, kilt, and canvas vest I'd been wearing around the farm the last few days. When you work outdoors for yourself you don't really care or notice being a little shabby. You don't shower and do laundry every day either. What's the point? Honestly it comes down to this when it pertains to wardrobe: there are farm clothes, house clothes, and going-out clothes (also known as "clean" clothes). And if all you are doing is farm work, updating blogs, designing in your living room, and making business calls you just don't need to be pretty. But this morning.... Man, did I stink. It was time for a bacterial exorcism.

But before I could get the laundry done or hit the showers I needed to finish my morning chores. So I grabbed the grain bags from Noble Ace and then made the trip next door to Stewart's for hot coffee. Walking inside I was self conscious so I kept a wide berth between me and the morning commuters. I watched men in polo shirts, button downs, and clean pants and slip-on shoes get into their 4-door cars for their trip to their respected carpeted offices. I watched women with perfect hair, liquid eyeliner, and heels get coffee from the same trough I was. I had one of those moments when you stop to remember a past life. I used to come in here before heading to a corporate office just a few years ago. I was clean, hair washed and ironed, makeup on, clothing crisp and fresh. But nowI was feeling grimy and honestly looking forward to my cup of coffee with genuine fervor while watching ghosts from my past life. I smiled. Dress for the job you want, not the job you had.

Don't worry, I showered. I also did the laundry. I got hay bales loaded, feed home, chores done, fires started, logos delivered, novel added to, new work started, jogged, ate dinner, and here I am updating the blog before crashing for the night. It was a good Monday, and a lot more productive of a start to the week than when I worked under someone else's name. I wasn't as diligent but I sure smelled better. Sometimes life is a happy little game of Go Fish.

In other news: I split orders with another local farm for laying hens and vegetable row covers and hoops. The ground is still frozen here but Speckled Sussex Hens and Lettuce rows are already in the plans. The four fat pigs I raised all winter are being harvested soon and repairs to the pen and new piglets will arrive in their place. The does are getting fatter, and kids will be romping in the living room soon. All the ram lambs are sold and waiting to wean off milk so they can start their new lives on other farms. There are also meat birds on the way (100!) as well winter barn mucking, goat barn repairs, a milking studio to start (inside the barn) and a spring Fiddle Camp to plan. Things are moving right along. I feel like all of April (my least favorite month) is going to be preparation and saving up for the explosion of energy and life that will be June. You know, this June it'll be three years of self-employment living a life I'll never stop pursuing or give up. I should accept that means I'm going to stink around people in polo shirts and heals. I should also be damn grateful for it. Sometime freedom stinks.

 Photo by Miriam Romais

6 Comments:

Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

This made me think of a guest on Oprah years ago. It was the daughter of a farming mum who wanted her mum to have a makeover because she said her mum would stand in line at the bank and be horrifically embarrassed about how she was dressed (farm work clothes) and that her hands/nails were stained from (if I remember correctly) dipping sheep and that her hair was in a pony tail. The daughter was incredibly proud of her hard working mother, but wanted to do something nice for her, thus the application to Oprah's makeover contest. I remember Oprah telling this woman to never be ashamed of hard work-that at the end of a long, hard day, she could know in her bones that she had truly earned her pay. I remember crying while I watched that ep, because the woman was so lovely and could easily have been my neighbour. (I grew up in CDN farm country and come from farm folk.) Anyway, this reminded me of that. Hard work does not make you less than someone who has an office 9-5er. If anything, I actually respect those who do this work MORE. My husband is in construction and comes home filthy every day. I know what hard work looks like.

April 6, 2015 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

I look bad in polo shirts and heels gave me bunions. I'm pretty much a uniform of fleece, jeans, camo, boots.

No everyone can't sit in a pretty cubicle...somebody has to do the rest of the work whether it be farming (meat doesn't grow on trays) or fixing cars.

The husband took in some home grown potatoes to a co-worker who was wide eyed that potatoes have dirt on them.
(seriously)

Those folks are living the lives society says they "should have".




April 7, 2015 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Alicia-Marie Lavoie said...

I hate heels. I do wear them, on rare occasions. But I prefer the comfort of boots, jeans, and flannel. Not everyone is meant for the cubicle.

April 7, 2015 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

When I worked at my old job, I remember getting my coffee in the morning and wishing I could get out of the fancy, uncomfortable, socially acceptable clothes I was wearing and back into the worn, tattered mucking clothes I was wearing during the weekend. I dreaded going to the office in the morning, dressed like someone I will never be. Stinky = happy :)
I can't wait to get the spring garden started, working all afternoon in the dirt and smelling of high heaven in the evening.
Great post, as usual Jenna!

P.S. Those piggies are HUGE! They were so much smaller when I saw them in the fall. They look wonderfully healthy and happy. Your CSA customers will be thrilled!

April 7, 2015 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Love this! so true. and how about addressing how hairy some of us get, I mean no shorts, no tank tops, no skirts with nylons, no reason to shave, and heck showering is less time consuming minus the shaving stuff. But thank goodness the weather is starting to warm up, time for some of us in Washington County to get a bit more civilized.

April 8, 2015 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Curt said...

Sometimes freedom stinks,well said but it still smells way better than being a corporate slave.��

April 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home