Monday, April 13, 2015

Hail Spring!

I could barely believe the forecast when I saw it, sunny and 75 degrees! That is what I saw before tucking into bed last night and that what was on my mind when I woke up this morning. It was a glorious day here at Cold Antler and I want to tell you all about it!

Morning chores were done in a tee shirt. A tee shirt! I carried buckets to horse, sheep and goats and refilled rabbit feeders and crocks. I walked flakes of hay around and threw the sheep their hearty half bale. The last bit of morning chorus is the graining of the flock and pregnant goats. It was happy work and done with Gibson back and my side and little Victory romping around us. Before I headed indoors for coffee I checked in on the chicks in their brooder. They were doing well and chirping away. Once they had fresh cold water and their feeder topped off I headed inside. I was already working up a sweat and I couldn’t be happier. I had not sweat in a tee shirt in lifetimes. Hail spring!

I wish I could say I spent the rest of that morning playing fiddle in the sun or fishing for early trout in the Battenkill, but I didn’t. I spent it working on several design clients and answering emails. When the office work was done it was around 1:30 and I was ready to get outside!

Oh, how wonderful and warm it was! I got in a good jog up and down the mountain and worked on my forms and techniques for my black belt test. Afterward I grabbed my quiver and bow and shot 50 arrows in the target before my arm was too sore to continue. Running and Archery are two of the three pieces of a perfect day and I had one left to accomplish...

I slipped on half chaps and breeches and got Merlin out of his paddock. Boy, was he covered in mud! It was dried and caked on his flank and he seemed happy as a pig all dirty and hair blowing in the gentle wind. It’s no trouble getting him in halter and leading him from his pasture. We did our ground work and then headed up the mountain for a mile trail ride, a bit longer than yesterday’s adventure. For the first time this spring we were able to reach the top of the mountain and overlook the old Birch tree and the view of Cambridge and Salem. Merlin was so great. No attitude, not fuss. I barely used my hands at all and the trip was as joyous as any ride in memory. It ended with him splashing his snout and hooves in a fast-moving little mountain creek and making me laugh. I hugged his neck.

I came home and groomed him like the prince he is. It is fantastically mindless work, brushing a horse. I felt like an old friend had moved back into place in my heart. When he was back in his pasture with hay and cold well water I repeated the morning chores and then headed out the door to visit Mark and Patty. Their farm is large and faces the west and sunsets are gourmet there. I wanted to end this day right.

And so I did. This amazing day of lambs and light, arrows and ariats, work and weather - it ended with raised glasses and good friends. I checked out Patty’s four new Romney lambs in the barn and congratulated her on the amazing new additions! She had spent the day with her husband using their 1948 tractor to move firewood from field to woodshed. She was glowing with pride in repairing and using that little beast. I was proud of her, too.

Winter seemed so long and spring is finally here. Today was downright magic and a day to be so very proud of. After so much cold and dark I am seeing so much light. May the blessing leak all over the place.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mel Baker said...

Sounds like a wonderful day, Jenna. Thanks for sharing it with us.

April 13, 2015 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

I feel your infectious joy oozing through your words! So glad you got a great ride in with Merlin to boot!

April 14, 2015 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Lesley UK said...

You are living the life that I always wanted. When I was young my husband (the first) had no interest in country living. My second husband was very young and really only got excited by racing cars (we travelled the world as he was a formul1,mechanic, but now (my third husband)) and I think alike, but alas we are too old to take on such a project. But today we have planted masses of vegetables in our garden, so we are doing our little bit to be self sufficient. I so envy your rides on Merlin. Here in the UK riding lessons are sooooo expensive and my parents were never able to let me learn, but when I was about 22 I managed to save enough money to have a few lessons....and I loved it. unfortunately family needs (I was married and had a son by then) became more urgent than riding lessons, and I had to stop. It still breaks my heart. I am new to your blog and I love it. Please keep on living the dream that so many of us cannot. Blessings

April 14, 2015 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Fulfilling perfection

April 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Christina S said...

I am so glad you had a great day!!! Loved that you could share it. It is pretty close to a perfect day in my mind :).

April 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Beautiful day in Illinois too. A day for clearing up brush and fallen branches, and planning new gardens:) Spring has arrived!

April 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home