Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Gibson, Ticks, and Gardens.

Gibson seems so much better. He is back to doing some of our daily chore work. He can walk, trot about, even run without a single problem or flinch of pain but he still is very hesitant to place his front paws up on anything like before. This means no more jumping up into the truck. Instead I lift him. He doesn't jump into bed, either. He puts his front paws and all his weight on the bed and slides forward to me until I scoop up his hind end. I don't know if this is a memory of the shock of pain he felt before or if he is actually unable to make the leaps? So he will have to go back to the vet for some more X-rays to really see what is going on. I talked to the vet about this and I was told to wait a little and monitor him and keep him at a lower activity level. So that is what I am doing. If he still seems scared to jump in (or out) of trucks, beds, etc in another two weeks then back to the doctor we go.

In other news! I spent the morning at the Doctor, myself. I had a bad reaction to a tick bite and it caused a large rash on my neck. So I sucked it up and headed to Cambridge Urgent Care. I don't have health insurance so any trip for healthcare is a big deal. But living here in the Northeast there are too many Lyme horror stories not to pony up the couple hundred bucks it costs for antibiotics and blood work as a preventive course of action. That's my personal health care tree, at least. This morning was a lot of waiting (reading the same old issue of Outdoor Life cover to cover), but in the end I got myself 28 days of Doxy and a booster tetanus shot. The tetanus shot wasn't related to the tick bite but it had been seven years since my last shot and I err on the side of caution with those. I know they say every ten years but I slice myself open on rusty stuff on this farm (and other old farms) all the time. It's not the kind of thing I want to let slip. Have you updated yours lately?

I wrote about the Doctor visit briefly over on Facebook. Now that's the true Greek Chorus these days when it comes to personal decision making. Some people thought I was overreacting and wasting money. Others thought it was good I got the care and felt it was responsible. Some messaged me to say the meds were worse for my body than Lyme Disease was for my brain. Another basically said to just rub it with Oregano. I don't know about that. When it comes to diseases that can effect my nervous system - I don't just rub leaves on it until after the Zombie come and Urgent Care is out of antibiotics. I like my brain, lots.

In lighter news: my kailyard is alive and well with some hoops of peas and lettuce seeds and some six packs I bought at a local nursery in Greenwich. I have some broccoli starts and Bibb lettuce in as well and it makes all the difference seeing that amazing GREEN out there in the rich dirt and compost. And last night there was a thunderstorm! Between the warmer weather, the trail rides with Merlin, rain storms, green leaves in the garden, and kits and kids coming any day now this farm is humming with spring's energy and songs! I guess that means things like lifting dogs into trucks and tick bites in the lyrics as well. That is okay. A farm - even a little farm like mine - rolls with the punches.

...Speaking of punches, Tetanus shots smart after a few hours!


Blogger Michelle said...

Now that you mentioned ticks, I seem to recall someone saying their dog had huge trouble running around and jumping and found out it was Lyme.

April 21, 2015 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Those tetanus boosters are killer! (But necessary, totally agree). Your soil looks wonderful! I sometimes get composted horse manure from a neighbor, and the plants seem to grow a lot more vigorously with it. Happy Spring.

April 21, 2015 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

You did get Gib checked for lyme, right? I can't remember but I think so. Because, yeah, with my experience I'd call that out first.

Also, um, don't listen to people who tell you that medicine is bad because um that's why 90% of children aren't dying before age 5.

April 21, 2015 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger blind irish pirate said...

I feel like a dick for giving you unsolicited advice after you just shared how you got tons of it for your trip to the doc, but...

you may want to slowly reintroduce Gibson back to work. Meaning, he's up and moving now, but IF the pain was from an injury, you'll want to see a slow return to movement to get the best results. It sucks without knowing what the injury may have been to give advice, but what I'm trying to say is that coming off of cage rest and trotting around and occasionally running while you do your chores is a quick return. So leash walking for a time and then off leash for just a couple of minutes and building up from there. And maybe you did this and all I've got is a tiny window into your life, so forgive me if I'm being annoying. :-/

The idea would just be to basically rehabilitate a back or hip joint that is flaring up, to allow it to heal and decrease inflammation while he has a slow return to work, without re-injuring himself.

But, ya know, that's just my professional opinion, and maybe oregano will do the trick??

Also, business related question, how do you get away with not having insurance/ and/or was getting on Obamacare not worth it for you?

April 22, 2015 at 2:19 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Hey all thanks for the concern and comments!

April 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Per Lyme: Yes, Gibson has been testes and while he did test negative for Lyme he does have another tick born illness latent in his system and we go to the vet every 6 months or so to check in with a bloodiest for it. I thought for sure the injury was due to that but the Doc did not. When I thought about him leaping in the air after five gallon buckets on a snowy day - it made more sense to me that he probably slipped. The pain went away after his 2 weeks of rest and he was very slowly reintroduced to his work outside. First just walking with me, then slowly speeding up a week later, now he seems back into the swing of things save leaping - which I do not allow him to do. I carry him up and down from places. But like I said, even if he was allowed to - he won't.

April 22, 2015 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

BIP: I really, really appreciate that you said you were commenting based on what you read in this tiny window - It's just a little thing but it showed concern without making assumptions. Thank you.

April 22, 2015 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Ngo - Soil is okay! but it is going to shine with the old compost I worked in, I hope!

April 22, 2015 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Kitty Betzoldt said...

I have some doggie steps I can send you that I used when my dog got too old to climb up on my old 4 poster bed. Let me know...

April 22, 2015 at 9:36 AM  
OpenID peihome said...

Yikes, I'm with you on being checked for Lyme disease!
I can't imagine paying for healthcare. I gripe about our provincial system's shortcomings, but at least we have healthcare.

April 22, 2015 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Geeka said...

FYI: some people have a reaction to a virus that ticks have and it causes them to become allergic to meat. Also, there are a ton more of tick bourne diseases out there (partially because of climate change), so you did the right thing. Health is something we should always spend the money on. (I'm a virologist, so not just touting a healthcare torch).

April 22, 2015 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Good to get it checked out...recall my spider bite of 2 summers ago that led to a rash and fever of 103, that then lead to hospitalization, and then to 6 weeks recovery? Glad you checked it out asap! I will NEVER underestimate a bite from anything again:)

April 22, 2015 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

It is good that you had medical care.

April 22, 2015 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger kealolo said...

Jenna - you might consider lowering your bed until Gibson is sound again. BC's often let their enthusiasm get in the way of healing.

April 25, 2015 at 12:56 AM  
Blogger Castle2012 said...

In the past when I've had a tick embedded I've removed and then gone straight to urgent care/ CVS Minute Clinic (don't know if they have that where you are) and was given one preemptive dose of antibiotics. The theory being Lymn never has a chance to take hold in your system. You'd have to run the numbers and decide if that might work better for you than taking the whole course of medication.

April 26, 2015 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Hey Jenna. Absolutely the right call re the tick bite! Anybody who says that Doxy is worse for you than Lyme has never had Lyme. That being said, probiotics are helpful to replenish the good bacteria killed by the lack of discrimination shown by antibiotics, and I find that doctors never mention them. Glad Gibson is on the mend, and congrats re those pigs!! I am very jealous. It's hard to find good pork where I live, especially homegrown pork.

April 27, 2015 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger Goose Goose said...

My friend in LA has LYME. UFDA. She suffers.

Hey, question, where did you find this little rabbit 'hutch'?


July 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home