Friday, April 10, 2015

Food and Safety?

It is a rainy week here in Veryork and today may be the cloudiest of them all. Looks like a solid downpour all day. The butchering team is coming on this foul day to help with the four large pigs I have raised through the winter. It's their turn to help keep the promise of pork to the co-owners who supported this farm. I'll be out in the rain helping as well. It will not be pleasant work, but necessary. It makes me a little pensive, both the weather and the work ahead today.

I am often asked if I grow attached to my pigs? I don't. If I raised them like puppies in the house and cuddled them and taught them to sit, I might, sure, but these animals are beasts right now. Last time I walked in the pen to help spread their straw bedding in the Pigoda they snapped at me, ripping my kilt and taking taste tests of my limbs. How often we forget that the only livestock that is happy to eat us, is pigs. I know James Cromwell went Vegan after filming the movie Babe, but nature doesn't follow the same rules. If Mr. Cromwell passed out cold in a pig pen with grown-up Babe? Well, let's just say he'd win the award for more ironic death in the history of agriculture.

More than ever before people want nothing to do with their own care and feeding. I'm not talking about something as grand as homesteading either, I mean just basic care and feeding. There are folks without basic staples in their cabinets and without microwaves and can openers wouldn't know how to cook a spaghetti dinner. Some of us even believe it isn't our job at all, anyone. There is a huge service industry out there now and when quarter pounders cost just four quarters, why should they? Never before has a people lived in such luxury and wealth with constant resources for education literally at their fingertips and instead they are watching cat videos. Sigh. Sorry guys, just a rainy morning here.

Oh another note, there is a discussion about gun ownership on my Facebook page. I wanted to feel out the readership for their thoughts on firearms. Do they own one? If not, what is their reason? For some it had to do with their country's laws and limitations. Others felt it wasn't safe with small children in the house. Others were hunters and target shooters, while a few were staunch pacifists. Some wanted fund but felt they couldn't afford one. It is so interesting how many different opinions and views came out of that discussion. Feel free to join in, but that is another issue for another time.

All right, off to say my goodbye and thanks to the Pegs out back. Check back for updates on their harvest and other news here at Cold Antler Farm!

6 Comments:

Blogger Christina S said...

Good luck today with the harvest!!

On the gun thing..we own guns...in our 1,000 square foot home we have a full gun cabenit downstairs...locked, but with a glass door (not keeping anyone out really), and upstairs we have two under the be in cases with loaded clips ready, and a built in gun cabenit with several more...I am honestly not sure how many we have...needless to say, I feel safe, even with the guns downstairs..., I think it's more the 6 large dogs (yes, I did say 6) that make me feel safe and not the guns. We do have to be careful when children come over, we could have a tragedy if we are not careful...kid love to play in our bedroom loft... Otherwise I forget they are there. They are great investments...especially if you do not shoot them very often, an. Have to buy amo, they also get the job done when it comes to "home harvesting" large livestock, and hunting for food. All in all I believe a gun or two is a must for survival. That I only my opinion, and I am sure there are many other people who feel differently.

April 10, 2015 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger E said...

Chickens would be happy to eat you, too.

April 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger aart said...

Ditto on the chickens eating you.

QP's cost about 14 quarters....bad food is expensive too.

Harvesting meat *should* make us pensive....the melding of lives.

Hope your harvest goes well, I've got some chickens ready to go in the next couple weeks.

April 11, 2015 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

We do not own guns because we are not afraid. We would be more fearful if we actually had a gun in the house.

We live in a semi-rural area, and there is no reason for us to own one.

April 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Nushi said...

We've got guns! From the pellet gun by the back door to get rid of squirrels who go after our grain and tractor seats, to the high power rifles under lock and key for the fall hunt... but we live in the middle of northern Canada... it's necessary! We have several wolf packs in the area, bears are coming out now and they are HUNGRY and frankly, I don't want my livestock hassled!

I wonder what a person would do without a gun and with a bear on the porch? (been there, not fun!!)

April 12, 2015 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Johollister said...

I recall I commented on FB about firearms.but I really didn't answer the question of why I don't have one. It because I am trying to only own items that I will use,and right now I don't have an area to go shooting, so the gun would pretty much just sit there in it's case. Which is kind of a waste in my book. This doesn't mean that this won't change at some point in the future, but right now I don't see shelling out cash for something I won't be playing with.

April 12, 2015 at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home