Saturday, April 25, 2015

Big Week

Some weeks are a blur. A span of days where things just happen, one after another, that were once just notes scribbled on a calendar. In the past few days so many spring rituals of the farm have taken place. The four large pigs that were slaughtered a few weeks ago were picked up at the butcher shop. I drove from Hoosick to Cambridge with a truck bed full of pork! 774lbs hanging weight between them all, and that is something to be proud of. Hanging weight is not the weight of the pigs (or the meat) but just the weight of the skinned, gutted, and headless halves of the pigs. But that means the average weight of the live pigs was closer to 220-300lbs! Not bad for a winter on a little farm in New York! Greg (the butcher) said they were the nicest pigs he ever saw out of my farm and I think I stood an inch taller all week because of it. Now that pork is in the freezers and frying pans of friends all around this little mountain. I am grateful for their support and grateful for the pork

The very next day Jim McRae, my sheep shearer came and the flock was shorn. Jim has been shearing my sheep since I got my first trio back in Vermont. Sal, my oldest (and favorite) has only ever been shorn by Jim at my home. Now all six of my adult sheep are ready for the heat of summer. Pork and wool, that was the bulk of my week. And that is why the blog has been skint, but there is much to update on soon. I have the entire process of starting the chick-to-roaster shared venture happening soon, and some little news...

I got a kitten.


Blogger Katie said...

Yay kitten!

April 25, 2015 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Susan Conway said...

Kitten pictures required.
Would also like to see the finished wool. Do you spin it all? What do you do with it all?

April 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home