Tuesday, April 28, 2015

And The Milk Will Flow!

Timing is everything, isn't it? Well Bonita and Ida know this more than most these days. Both does are due to kid any moment now. They are showing all the signs of being ready and all this farmer can do is wait and make them comfortable. The same goes for the rabbit doe, who has been building a nest these past few days and should kindle soon. Oh, and there are all the goose eggs under two large geese right now, protected by King Cyrus the Cranky. There are chicks on the way from the hatchery, turkey eggs in Patty's incubator, and a kitten is making her way around the farmhouse...

There will be a LOT of babies around here soon, and just in time too. This weekend is the big Poultry Swap south of here and in that one morning I could sell all the goat kids, all the goslings, and get a few turkeys and laying hens to add to my small flock here. Once those kids are born there will be a proper dairy concern here once again, and the milk will flow!

I know that this bit of spring is the calm before the storm. That right now I can head outside after a morning of writing and graphic design and tack up that beautiful horse and enjoy the newly green fields. But I ride knowing that in the next few weeks this farm will be buzzing with life, workshops, tractors of broilers, dairy chores, archery practices, meet up groups, music and more!

Time to ride before it all happens at once!


Blogger Mel Baker said...

So much to look forward to. I am so excited for you!!

April 28, 2015 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I was just commenting to a fellow gardener how these early, cool, bug-free days of spring tease us into making some mighty ambitious plans for the year. Enjoy these happy days!

April 28, 2015 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I just love reading your blog. I've been a reader for maybe a whole year now and each post is a bright spot in my day. Thought I should tell you.

April 28, 2015 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I just love reading your blog. I've been a loyal reader for over a year now. I thought I should tell you. Thanks for every word.

April 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Johollister said...

The Poultry Swap is still at the Schaghticoke Fairgrounds correct? I might need to check that out.

April 29, 2015 at 6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home