Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Weird Birds

I'd like to share a story about some odd birds. See, here at Cold Antler there are plenty of hens and roosters but that isn't all the avian creatures by a long shot. There are geese and turkeys that call this farm theres, too. Occasionally I'll raise some ducks (especially if I am training a border collie to herd), and all this is fine and normal. I am as used to having poultry around the house as grass on the lawn, but some of these birds are starting to act a little strange. I don't know if it is the warmer weather or the urge to start getting into the family way, but they are starting to get creepy.

For example: This morning I woke up to a turkey (Lucas) staring into the house, right against the glass sliding doors. Not all that strange, since he has always had a habit of being a voyeur like that. What I didn't expect was to shake my head at him, smile, and walk into the kitchen to start a pot of coffee and look out that window to see Cyrus the goose staring in at me. He was at my head level, standing on a pile of slowly melting roof-fallen snow. This one made me jump. You just don't expect to have a goose staring at you. So now, as far as I know, two species are planning their attack on the fort.

I brushed this off and started the coffee. The whole time I was grinding beans and getting the percolator ready the goose just stared in and if I poked my head into the living room, the tom was still there - showing off his feathers like a cheap date. I got the coffee going and called Gibson to come outside with me to feed the horses and sheep (always chore one of the morning) and standing right in front of me was Quark the rooster, just watching the front door, probably wondering why he doesn't get fireside accommodations every night anymore. At this I threw up my hands, you guys know that saying, right? What happens twice will happen a third time, and there he was. Gib slunk int a crouch and herded him off in a fuss of clucking and pride and I walked to the truck to grab some flakes off one of the bales I grabbed from Common Sense Farm yesterday.

Within twenty minutes all the birds stopped being creeps, but I got to say - livestock staring in your windows at dawn is a little weird. Either that or they just know where the food person sleeps and are patiently awaiting service? If it keeps up I am going to prove it with photographic evidence. Anyone else have critters that start your morning that way?!

8 Comments:

OpenID natts121 said...

I have a horse who knows the sound of my alarm clock if the windows are open. He will begin to make a fuss if I hit the snooze button and not get up and attend to his morning needs.

March 18, 2015 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

My hens have been very affectionate to me in this spring weather--following me around and "talking" to me. I think they want sex! I tell them I'm not their rooster. We had a flighty adolescent who once roosted in the lilac outside our kitchen window, very startling to find her looking in at you!

And Natts 121, our hens know the sound of the garage door opening and make a huge fuss when we get home (that often means they get to come out of their run and free range). Dog definitely has understanding of snooze button! :)

March 18, 2015 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

we have nighttime visitors that cause a fuss - we have raccoons, skunks and possum that come to our back patio to eat the leftover cat food. And when the food dish is empty the raccoons push on the back screen to let us know. They stare at us sitting in our den waiting for us to fill up the food container, and if we don't move fast enough for them they bang on the back screen door.

March 18, 2015 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

If I sleep in on my days off, my dogs wake me up by just sitting next to my bed and staring at me.

March 18, 2015 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Linda Hawkins said...

I have a cat who thinks I need to be awake for him to eat breakfast, even when his dish is already full. Its a pain to be pestered awake an hour before your alarm just to be led stumbling to the kitchen only to discover the bowl runneth over and he just needs an audience, LOL.

March 19, 2015 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Heather Knoll said...

Your stalkers are...foul. hehe, couldn't resist ;).

March 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Sammy Q said...

My pup will come over and lick my face in the morning when he feels it's time for "us" to be up. If I wake up before him, I'll crack an eye open slowly to make sure that he doesn't see it so I can sleep a bit more... However, if he sees my eyes open, his tail goes into a wagging frenzy and sleep turns into a nice memory as he climbs me to use me as a stretching mat. He also tries to give me a curfew at night, huffing and puffing at me as if to say, "Hey! I'm tired and it's already 8:30! We're supposed to be in bed!"
Such silly little animals :)

March 19, 2015 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Haha, I could totally picture that and would be creeped out as well! Hey, we are talking about getting turkeys. I need advice. Do they need shelter at all in the spring / summer? Their own place to roost? Are they fairly adept at getting away from predators? Any and all advice appreciated.

March 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home