Friday, March 20, 2015

Letting Go

After two seasons and so many lessons, I am proud to announce that Italics will be released soon, maybe as soon as tomorrow. He was my first ever Falconry bird and we spent a good time together over the past two years hiking, hunting, training and flying. Because of him I made so many new friends, learned so much about raptors and rabbits, and have a community close by that cares so much about these animals and the people who tend them. I'll trap a new bird in the fall and start all over, but I am happy to be releasing this healthy, strong, adult bird back into the local breeding population here in New York. He's one of the lucky ones, to make it this far. I am luckier to have shared a bit of the sky with him.

Photo by Miriam Romais


Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Oh this must be so bittersweet for you! I wonder if he'll return/come find you?

March 20, 2015 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Fernleaf said...

Bittersweet and amazing, I envy you the experience of having worked with a hunting hawk. Best of luck with your continued learning with the next bird!

March 21, 2015 at 5:34 AM  
Blogger Amy @ CrabtreeStudio said...

Is this standard? I know nothing about raising hunting hawks - do you have to work with a young bird and release older birds? How do they re-adapt back into the wild? How does this feel for you?

March 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Robin Follette said...

What an honor and privilege you've had, and I'm glad you shared some of it with us.

A friend let her redtail go a year ago. She came back and they are still hunting together.

March 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger gothicmuse said...

Italics is looks magnificent. I didn't know there was a release program, but it makes sense. He needs to contribute to the local gene pool and he will contribute to strong chicks from the looks of him. You can be proud of the work you've done, though I imagine it will pull at you to see him fly off without his jesses at last.

March 21, 2015 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I know nothing about hawks either, but was wondering how long it takes for a bird to realize they are free and don't have to fly back to you?

And, will you have to go through all the paperwork you went through to get registered again when you want to get another hawk?

I loved reading about your adventures with Italics. The whole process seems amazing to me. One of my favorite boos is My Side of the Mountain. I know you will miss him. But I bet it feels good to know he will be free to mate and have more little hawks around soon. Good for you.

March 21, 2015 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Big Sky Chicken Ranch and Victory Garden said...

Congrats, Jenna.....Free Bird!

March 23, 2015 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Cully said...

I love looking at that majestic bird....what a beauty, and how great the two of you look!!!!!!!

March 23, 2015 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Hi Jenna,
I just discovered your vlog and am looking forward to enjoying your postings! I'm in the middle of reading a wonderful book called H Is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald, and I can understand some of what you must be experiencing. It sounds like such an amazing connection/disconnection with a wild creature. Have you read the book?
All the best,

March 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I was so hoping that you might share some great pictures/video of Italics' release. Did you get a chance to take some pics? Will we be able to share that moment when you let him go free?

March 27, 2015 at 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home