Monday, March 16, 2015

Five

Gibson turned five today, and it has been fives years of amazed gratitude that this dog is a part of my life. I'm not sure if it is because he is the first dog I ever raised from a puppy, or if it's the fact he came into my life during these personal hardships, or if it's because he is the mascot of this whole dream? It is probably all these things.

We are never apart long and when he isn't with me, I do not feel whole.  We wake up together, do farm chores together, and I have never spent more than a handful of hours away from him. He is the single more solid part of my life. If anyone ever did anything to hurt this dog I would be in prison for what happens next.

We are such a pairing that he goes with me everywhere—not just around the farm and town, but everywhere. He sleeps in the lobby of my Tae kwon Do School. He came to court tonight with me over a traffic ticket. He is known at my bank, hardware store, bookstore and pretty much any place that I can bring him into. He is asleep beside me right now as I type. We share a bed, a farm, and many meals - driving in our dented pickup around Veryork. I know this is a tired phrase but this dog is my best friend, my favorite person, my shoulder to cry on, my kitchen dancing partner, my bedtime story and morning light. To some of you that may sound sad. It isn't.

Gibson, I love you.  I love you right now and I have loved you every day of your life.

I know some people don't like dogs, never want to own a dog, or care about them much at all. I feel like I have more in common with Bonobos than those people. I can't think of a sadder way to live in this world than living it so alone. It is a relationship born out of common progress. We are pack animals that hunt by daylight. The oldest partnership our species know. How lucky am I to know this animal? May I be lucky for many, many, more years.

They aren't angels. They're far better.


12 Comments:

Blogger lemontreelane said...

Happy Birthday, Gibson!

March 16, 2015 at 10:55 PM  
Blogger Tubaville said...

My lab was like Gibson until she passed a few years ago and now I got an older border collie mix from the shelter who never leaves my side. They are more than friends or companions. Life would be so empty without my Charlie just as it was without my Hailey.

March 16, 2015 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Vicki Alderman-Watt said...

Happy birthday Gibson

March 17, 2015 at 1:07 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Beautiful!

March 17, 2015 at 6:15 AM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Happy tears. You express things so well. Next time someone asks me why I have so many dogs I'm sending them this link.

Happy Birthday Gibson!!!

March 17, 2015 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Beth Brown said...

Happy Birthday, Gibson! I understand so completely how you feel about Gibson. Such a beautiful post - makes me want to rush home and hug Tipper :)

March 17, 2015 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Curt said...

Happy Birthday to Gibson!

I had the company of dogs when I was younger. These days, at least for now it is cats. I have one grey tabby that insists on sitting in my arms when I am trying to type on my computer.

March 17, 2015 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

I love Gibson too! You are lucky to have each other. Happy Birthday you beautiful boy.

March 17, 2015 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Awe that is so sweet. My Murph holds a special place in my heart. He is my favorite farm chore companion and if I could bring him to work with me in the city I would do that too. Happy Birthday to your best friend!

March 17, 2015 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Oh wow! I can't believe it has been five years already!! Happy Birthday! You two do have a beautiful relationship!

March 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Mel Baker said...

Happy 5th Birthday, Gibson!!

March 17, 2015 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger margaret minetti said...

my 3 flatcoated retrievers are my constant companions, could never see my life without my best friends.

March 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home