Monday, March 30, 2015

Back From The Vet

Before the vet's even pulled into the office's parking lot, I was there waiting with Gibson. On the short ride down the mountain to the clinic Gibson would occasionally yelp in pain he couldn't take the road bumps and swaying of the car. I started crying, because I love this dog more than makes sense. You can walk up to me and say horrible things. You can punch me in the face. You can threaten, libel, and kick me when I am down and I will not flinch - but watching Gibson confused and in such pain had me unable to stop the tears. I explained to the tech's what happened and they got us in to a room right away. I carried him out of the car and brought him inside. 59 pounds never felt so light. There was a soft blanket on the ground and Gibson curled onto it, shaking.

After the vet and I talked she did a full physical on him. He growled and bared his teeth until we placed a towel gently over his head with him in my lap. Then he let the Doctor inspect his every joint and muscle. Paws, ACL, all was fine until she got to his hip bones. He winched in pain as she extended his leg and at that point she was fairly certain it was a hip injury and not a tick born or bacteria infection. His panting, lack of appetite, and shaking were from the intense pain. He was given an injection of pain medication then, and also a half liter of fluids injected into the skin behind his neck - in case of any dehydration since he was not touching food or water since the injury.

I left with a dog with a humpback like a bison, a vile of pills, and a dog on the mend. I wrote them the check and even with the surprise visit, fluid injection, pills, and a good hour and a half in the office it was reasonable and that was a relief too. How lucky am I to have such great vets literally just down the road? As for Gibson? He can't do any outdoor work, jump up on beds or couches, or do much more than rest on his medication. It's going to be harder on him than any pain, having to stay at home, but it is for the best. If he doesn't mend in a week or so, that means X-rays, bloodtests, etc. But I am praying for a quick recovery.

P.S. I am going to post some items up here later today for a yardsale, to help cover the vet bill(s). Check back for some antiques and cool items you can grab, and help with mending this cu.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mel Baker said...

Get well soon, Gibson.

March 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Montero said...

We have 8 working dogs. Two of my dogs have hip dysplasia, one has a repaired ACL and still works at 11 years old, pain-free. If it's of any help to Gibson, can I suggest trying the following (lowest cost to highest cost): cod liver oil, a Tbsp once a day; Yumove with green lipped mussel extract (my equine vet used it when he had his hip replaced and was so impressed he put all his animals on it) or Seraquin, which I use for my two hip dysplasia dogs and they both still work. It all falls under the "neutraceuticals" category so no vet prescription is needed. I get cod liver oil cheapest at tack shops (horse size containers). And I keep a bottle of Metacam on hand for pain relief (vet script needed for that) if any dogs overdo it. Saves more vet costs (reducing vet costs with 8 dogs to manage is a priority!). Hope that's of some use to you. Get well soon Gibson!

March 30, 2015 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Christina S said...

I hope he heels fast. From experience I know how hard it is to keep a dog "quiet" when they start to feel a little better. Good luck to you, and I hope all turns out well!!!!

March 30, 2015 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Glad Gibson is geting help! Whats happening with Italics? did you release him?

March 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger daisy g said...

Thanks for the update. Poor boo. It'll be harder on you than him. God's speed...

March 30, 2015 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Erika Ostroski said...

Hope all is well! Wishing for a speedy recovery!

March 30, 2015 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Jenna, I'm a long time reader but have never commented. Gibson's need for help is reason to do so. I live in Renss. county and my parents live in Washington county, so I always feel a kinship to your writings. I'm writing with an idea to raise a little money. Would you be willing to host a farm tour and talk for homeschoolers? Maybe a couple of hours geared towards middle/high schoolers talking about the realities of homesteading/farming, touring your farm, discussing trials, joys, answering questions, etc. Based on other events we've attended, I think you could charge about $10 per student. I'd be happy to promote it on the homeschool community groups I am in. If interested, please contact me at mwarrender@gmail.com. All the best to Gibson!

March 30, 2015 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger seagoddess said...

This happened to my dog once when she leapt off my bed far and wide and sprained her hip. I never heard anything worse in my life than her helping and screaming. I'm sure the meds will kick in soon - he'll look like the end of the world til they do - hang in there - I'm sure he'll be fine any day now!!!

March 31, 2015 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Haven't checked in on your blog for a while. So glad Gibson is going to be Ok!

April 3, 2015 at 2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home