Sunday, February 8, 2015

Roosters & Storms

Another big storm is coming and Quark is here in my living room. Who is Quark? He's a rooster. He was looking a little droopy and has grown so tame and mild around me I just couldn't let him take this squall. He refuses to sleep in the coop with the dominant roosters and so that means most nights he sleeps in the sheep shed. But tonight he seemed tired and slow compared to the other birds so I picked him up like a pampered pug (He didn't object) and brought him inside with a mug of warm water and some pedialyte and a little bowl of grain. The dogs are mildly interested but mostly ignoring the bird. He is already asleep on a red tartan dog blanket. My house might seem cold to some, but to this roo it is paradise. He had a big meal, a good drink and is fast asleep.

Today was a good day of storm prep, outdoor chores, and visiting friends. I went over to Patty and Marks for hay and we carried bales up the hill from the barn on sleds and then rode the sleds back down the hill to get more hay. It was a blast! Patty;s big horses ran alongside us and Gibson was right on my tail. A quick, but perfect memory.

Right now the wood stove in the farmhouse is glowing, candles are lit behind the statue of Brigit, and the dogs are asleep on the daybed. I am ready for the storm with plenty of firewood, all the roofs raked, the animals fed, watered, and given extra grain and bedding, and pens and electric fences dug out and tested. As tough as the first storms were I am getting used to the extra effort and dusting off my snowshoes for tomorrows storm. I have lost 8 pounds since January and am enjoying feeling a bit lighter on my feet and think the work out of a snowshoe hike around the farm and up the mountain will be wonderful tomorrow! I will bring my camera for sure!

Stay safe, stay warm, sleep well.


Blogger Kelsie said...

I have a chicken in need of extra TLC in my house, too. Poor Henryetta just hasn't handled the last few single-digit cold snaps very well, so she's been getting to sleep on the mud porch with a little radiator and lots of oatmeal.

February 8, 2015 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Susan Conway said...

I'd love to see a pic of a sleeping roo.

February 9, 2015 at 1:11 AM  
Blogger Betsy Earley said...

Yes please take lots of pictures!

February 9, 2015 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Christina S said...

My chickens are way too spoiled. We have an outdoor wood boiler, and it is enclosed in the woodshed. The chicken coop is a two story coop (poorly designed for cleaning :) and the second story is above the wood boiler...the smoke stack also travels through the chicken coop. They seemed to have stayed decently warm so far this winter. This also keeps their water from freezing...which makes me a little spoiled too.

February 9, 2015 at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home