Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Morning Hug

We're about to roll into another deep cold, highs only reaching into the single digits on some days. But this morning the sun was out and while spending some time with Merlin I couldn't help myself and hugged that big horse. His thick coat was so warm from the sun it was like leaning against a heating blanket draped over a propane tank. As he ate I just let my cheek rest against his shoulder, inhaled that wonderful smell of horse, and scratched his shoulder. I miss the daily rides of summer and our adventures and eagerly await their return. It is cold out there but summer can be found hidden in places, if you get close enough to feel the warmth waiting for you to claim it.


Blogger jules said...

I love the smell of warm horse in the sun.

February 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

There is nothing better than the smell of horse!

February 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

thanks for prompting that memory, of the thick wooly coat shining in the sun, gold and red and brown, fur so deep your hand disappears inside. I so miss my horses...

February 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

Could I please get access (username, password) to Birchthorn? Thank you.

February 11, 2015 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger William Ludwig said...

If Tao were an animal, it would be a horse.

February 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger William Ludwig said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM  
OpenID berkshireporker said...

Horses are the best at hugs :D

February 12, 2015 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Patty cake said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 12, 2015 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Patty cake said...

What a beautiful post! Your words touched my heart. I could feel and hear everything that you were expressing. Thank you.

February 12, 2015 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

That certainly is the best smell ever. It transports me to so many wonderful places.

February 13, 2015 at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home