Sunday, February 15, 2015

Mo Sweet Cridhe!

I am so grateful that I am a musician, however humble. To have a home that is surrounded by fiddle, guitar, banjo, whistle and drum - that fills me with such joy. I took a good five minutes to just play Rain and Snow, an Appalachian tune of the sordid sort, over and over this morning. I played it slow and I played it fast. I played it droning and I played it clean. Then I set it down to tend the fire and came back to it and played a Celtic tune called the Scartaglen Slide, which is all dance and lightness. Sometimes I just sing, too. Music is always here and it doesn't matter if I am out doing chores and making up tunes while Gibson runs around or home at night but the fire playing music from the Hobbit films on the tin whistle. It is always here and adds an element of wildness, freedom, and beauty along with the animals to a cold piece of land on the side of a mountain. (And part of me secretly believes the more I play the faster summer will come...)

For now, I'll share the chorus of Gibson's song I called Cuilen Math. I made it up while outside together and watching him race through snow and field. Nothing is happier to my eyes than a border collie on his own farm without a leash in sight! It's upbeat and I bet you can figure out the melody from the tempo. I can't think of the tune I made it up too but it hardly matters. Music is good in any form!

For I am a Cuilen Math!
I'm Bonnie and I'm Braw
And I'll watch o'er Lamb and Ewe
And tell it to you all!

I'm Fast as I am Fly
I'm Dubh as tha Nocht Sky
And I'm as free as mo sweet cridhe
And don't you dare ask why!

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine Marble said...

Love it! Would like to hear you sing it or play the tune on your tin whistle... :)

February 15, 2015 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Jeannie said...

Oh yes yes Jenna! I have instruments around too, it is one of the best things of all.

February 15, 2015 at 5:43 PM  
OpenID T. Crockett said...

I'm a big fan of making up my own lyrics to well known tunes.

Stay warm out there!

February 16, 2015 at 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home