Friday, February 20, 2015

Making Friends


Blogger ryverwynd said...

Okay, I've gotta ask a "delicate" he (the rooster, not Gibson) housebroken? If not, how messy are his poops? Inquiring (and slightly OCD) minds wanna know!

February 20, 2015 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

The rooster is not housebroken :)

He just poops on the floor when he wants, which is a handful of times a day. I just clean it up with a paper towel and throw it in the wood stove. Takes about 30 seconds? No big deal.

February 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger sandalfoot said...

That is so funny....the poop thing, not the photo. The photo is sweet. Well, seems pet chickens are pretty popular these days. Are we going full circle? For the OCD types, there are now chicken diapers, hmmmm.....but not exactly ecology oriented.

February 20, 2015 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

So this is Quark, who is now back outside with the other chickens. When it gets really cold I bring him inside, but he isn't a pet.

February 20, 2015 at 1:06 PM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Ok thank you for asking that question...I also wondered. lol
He is a gorgeous rooster.

February 20, 2015 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Thought of you. We have been without power for 3 days and it was not a big deal. A power line came down due to an ice storm, something we do not have very often in Middle TN. But it was nice to have a hot shower. From the Phony Farm.

February 20, 2015 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Christine Marble said...

Yet another benefit of living out in the country - you can keep your rooster inside when necessary. I'm with you, Jenna - cleaning up the poop is not a big deal. When we have animals, there is always clean-up. My lab throws up occasionally (usually if he gets into my neighbor's compost pile), and of course, he does that inside! No big whoop.

February 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Quark's a handsome boy! I brought one of the chicks who looked like she was struggling into the house yesterday, to warm up by the woodstove. Put the paper towel into the toilet... will have to remember using the woodstove instead.

February 20, 2015 at 7:33 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Jenna I have 2 roosters in my house right now. We went down to -10 degrees and their wattles flash froze. So I have them in the house in a big cage.Last night we went down to -20 so glad they were in. Today we finally went up to 18 degrees so back out they went. They kept me up crowing the past 2 nights.
I laughed when I listened to your vlog. It sounded the same here except I had 2 of them crowing. Mr Doodles is a Creme Legbar cross and Blue Trooper is a Swedish Flower rooster.Their combs didn't freeze just their wattles. I think they flash froze from them dipping in the water when they drank. I am getting fount drinking waters tomorrow so they can not get their wattles in the water again while its cold.

When winter is this harsh chores can really wear a person out. Stay warm.


February 20, 2015 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Ruralmama said...

I just finished Cold Antler Farm and came here to say that your story is very powerful and uplifting to me personally. I very much enjoyed your celebration of the Wheel of the Year, and your message of life. Your lovely book was found in my local library, in a teeny rural town in Minnesota, and there was a lot there that resonated with life here. Thank you for sharing a slice of your life with us--it certainly changed, for me, what I believe is "possible" in this world.

February 23, 2015 at 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home