Monday, February 2, 2015

Forgotten Holidays

This storm hit hard. Snow started last night and just stopped an hour ago. I have not been this tired in a long time, not like this. A full day of shifts involving the cycle of shoveling paths to the animals, feeding, shoveling out pens and raking roofs, clearing electric fencing from snow cover, and carrying around extra bedding and feed. I didn't get a single piece of creative writing or design minute in. Today was just about the storm. I am glad they are so rare.

It's a holiday for this little farm, and I feel a tad disappointed I didn't have time to appreciate it properly. It's Imbolc, Brigit's Day. Brigit is and always has been my patron. Well, since I was 17 at least. She's always watching over this hearth, this farm, this heart. And today is hers, at least to some of us. It's also day celebrating this middle point between the winter solstice and spring equinox. It's a day to sit down, take stock in the growing daylight, and focus on healing and home. I didn't have time for naval gazing or reading from old books, but I suppose I did spend the entire day in service to this farm, my home. I am proud of this tired body and the animals outside, who are all braw beasts.

I am heading to bed early, but wanted to check in and let you guys know all is fine, the storm has passed, and I am already tucked under the covers before 9PM. It was a good day. I can thank Brigit for that.

4 Comments:

OpenID thetinfoilhatsociety.com said...

A blessed Imbolc to you!

St. Brigid and I don't seem to mesh, which is sad given she is the patron Irish goddess of sheep, spinning, and beer brewing. And I certainly haven't done my spring cleaning or lighting of the new year's fire either! Maybe tomorrow afternoon I will feel up to it. Working in the medical field means many, if not most of my holidays are celebrated either early or late.

Take care and stay warm!

February 2, 2015 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Neat statue. here did you get it at?

February 2, 2015 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Belated blessed Imbolc! Even if you didn't celebrate the way you would have wanted, the thoughts were still there, it's in your blog. That is a beautiful statue.

February 3, 2015 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger John Rosalia said...

I always end up learning something new whenever I read your blog! Getting more in touch with my Irish Heritage. Thank you!
Sláinte

John

February 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home