Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Down By the Sally Gardens

Good morning readers! And it has been a good morning here, even if it did start at 4:48AM with a rooster in my living room. I will admit I wasn't this cheery when he sounded the alarm, but just a few hours later my day is off to a wonderful start. Thanks to that early rising (usually I get up with the sun, regardless of season I am up at dawn and right now that is closer to 7AM), I was up and about with eager energy. Eight hours of sleep reset my tired self. I woke up with good work and a farm I love more than I can even explain demanding my attention and hands. And taking that 9 to 9 Challenge seriously meant I had hours before I had to worry about anything but the fireplace, weather, or the work of the farm. What a blessed surrender, that.

I got chores done and came inside to a fine cup of coffee and then sat down to write more of Birchthorn. I got out a thousand words, sent a Kickstarter update, and then started checking emails and planning my day. I didn't look at the news. I didn't go onto Facebook to read gossip or see what my friends did on their vacation to Bermuda. Instead, sitting in my inbox was a design inquiry, a thank you from the folks who attended the Whistle Workshop this weekend (which was wonderful and we learned most of Sally Gardens!), and a sweet email from a neighbor. I myself started playing Sally Gardens on my tin whistle (this shut the rooster up, who was confused or jealous of my amazing Celtic crows!).

I'm going to head into town in a little bit to get some provisions and enjoy talking with the gang at the hardware store, but thought you guys would like a quick hello and check in. I can't say enough good things about a little self control when it comes to digital choices. And I can't say enough good things about choosing to start a day with music, creativity, work and light instead of lack, anger, sadness, or other nonsense that can wait till after your first cup of coffee. Have any of you kept the Challenge going? How are you doing? It's never to late to start over either. Never, ever ever.


12 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

What a gorgeous song and what a beautiful voice! Thanks for that Jenna. My 9 to 9 isn't going great. I got involved in a discussion about vaccinations with my sister and her husband last evening. Oy! I posited no side just the fact that I think people have the right to choose and was met with a whole lot of name calling. Stupid, irresponsible and dumb just to name a few. Great stuff to go to bed with. But like you say, I will begin again today. :)

February 10, 2015 at 8:47 AM  
OpenID rawketstarling said...

I've been REALLY trying to complete the challenge, every day. And I've been strict with myself :) But it's been a lot than i thought it would be, or that I would like to admit. But the surprising thing is--when I don't start or end my day checking my phone, I'm not as compelled to check it throughout the day either, which is something I really have been wanting to cultivate. Instead, with the advent of beautiful sunny weather (Texas!), I've been outside, working on my freckles, digging a duck pond!

February 10, 2015 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger a.rogue (Alice) said...

I think I will hop into this challenge :) Sounds delightful! Just imagining how much I could get done instead of being sucked into Facebook land at 7 am... I will have to put a sticky note on the computer to remind me!

February 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

It is a beautiful song! I am so proud of the work shoppers who came and learned it!

February 10, 2015 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Per the challenge: it has been hard for me too. Last night I realized I was on twitter at 9:14 and logged off, not realizing I was just double screening it (browsing online while watching a movie?!) I set it down to focus on the Babadook.

February 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

But I am getting more done, and I find myself having a lot more confidence and self worth when I do get online to check out social media. When I used to wake up and check things like twitter (in bed, Christ...) whatever was being thrown at me set my mood for the whole day. Now I set the mood.

It's 10AM and I am just getting into the Social Media Scene for the day. I'm getting online after spending a morning caring for my own farm and animals, talking with neighbors, working with my hands, writing, making music, laughing with locals, and knowing that I have plans later today to see old friends and prepare for even more cold weather care. I'm so happy here, and at peace with my self and my purpose today. It's hard to be affected by a snarky comment when you just spent the morning being your own hero.

So yeah, spend the morning focusing on yourself, your health, your loved ones, your work, and making beautiful art. Makes you stronger.

February 10, 2015 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Just my thoughts (and I am doing good at the 9-9 challenge) that there is a lot of negativity shared on social media. It wastes my time and can influence my mood. I am better off without it...although it is a weaning process. Enjoyed the music. Reminded me of Sissel singing Shenandoah as both are expressive singers.

February 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

There sure is A LOT of negativity on there. Facebook can be a nice tool but if you really pay attention to what people post and how it makes you feel... and start checking off the tally sheet of posts that make you smile or frown.... just watch the negativity pop up.

I appreciate Facebook, I do. But I can't put myself out on a washline before my first cup of coffee. I makes me compare myself too much to others.

February 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Sammy Q said...

Doing the 9-9 challenge has actually been really easy for me as I am not huge on social media in general. I would say instagram is my biggest vice out of the trifecta (Facebook and Twitter being the other ones). I suppose that I've always felt that people are trying to prove something to one another on FB and that in it of itself is a huge turn-off for me. It just feels like petty drama and as a person who likes to avoid drama at all costs, FB basically repels me from itself haha.

That being said, I've been working in News for about 6 years and can honestly say that because of that, I literally NEVER watch it at home -- ESPECIALLY not before work. No thanks! I feel like it probably affects me on a subconscious level at this point (all that sad and bad news) so by the time I get home, the last thing I want to do is check up on the world. I'd rather watch happy endings of dog rescue videos or an interesting documentary or draw/create.

I'm typically aware of how much I'm on my phone and generally try not to use it around people at all. Call me old-fashioned! Though I recently just got obsessed with this new game called Summoner's War so we'll see how that goes...

Also, how was the babadook? I've been wanting to see that but am kinda too afraid to watch it alone haha...

February 10, 2015 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger aart said...

" I can't say enough good things about a little self control when it comes to digital choices." !!!! :D

February 11, 2015 at 5:59 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

I'll admit, I fell off the wagon on Monday. But it was actually a good thing because I never got the call from the school saying that school was cancelled. Something must have gotten messed up in their system. I would have sent the kids merrily on to school on the ice if I hadn't seen the fb post of a friend asking if anyone else hadn't gotten the call. Now to get back on the wagon...

February 11, 2015 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger Maralee Childs said...

The 9 to 9 had unforeseen consequences for me. Once I didn't check Facebook just out of habit, I began to realize that there was really nothing on there that I needed to see. So very little that made me laugh or smile, just a lot of people I happen to know airing their dirty laundry or showing the worst sides of themselves. Makes me think perhaps I don't need it at all. Jenna, what have you done LOL!!!

February 12, 2015 at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home