Monday, February 9, 2015


Today's storm was a heavy, wet, snow and it feels like the farm is buried three-feet deep out there, even though I know there is just a little over 18 inches. It's tricky though. Since wind and drifts play a part there are spots in the horses pasture with just a foot and trails in the forest that I sunk to my hips while out on snowshoes. The heavy snow means a lot of fence maintenance, since all of the fences here are either electric or low to the ground (think pigs). It all got done but I am feeling it for the first time in my life. Feeling sore and tired in a way that isn't just the after effects of labor, but worn down. Like Bilbo Baggins said: butter spread over too much toast.

That's just how I feel these past few weeks, and it will surely pass. The intense cold and heavy snow is just a bit more of a challenge, but June has to come, doesn't it? All that said, the farm is doing fine. Everyone is in great shape, eating well, hydrated, and tucked in for the night. Well, mostly everyone. The sheep and horses and goats are all set but I still have to run outside with the pigs dinner and shovel the snow off their shelter roof. I am working up the courage right now, with the teapot heating up on the wood stove and a fire roaring close to me.

Quark is still inside because I don't have the heart to send him out into this deep snow knowing he is going to be spending all his time in the honey suckle bush. He is enjoying walking around the farmhouse eating the dogs food when they aren't looking, scaring the cat, and clucking about. I don't trust the dogs to keep it civil if I'm not watching them so he's in the crate when I am outdoors.

Much was done indoors, by the way. I updated the Birchthorn Project and got work done on several client logos.Working on comps for some farms and emailing final files to another. Proud of that design work and having fun working on it, even if it is just a few hours at a time. I like that there isn't much idle time around here these days. Be it indoors or out I am using my body and mind, and still finding time to pick up the guitar, fiddle, or tin whistle just to blow off steam and relax. I may be a little weary but you can't not smile after a hot toddy and a waltz on the banjo. I love a good waltz, do I ever.

Tonight after the Pegs are all settled in and there is nothing to do but come indoors and keep the home fire burning, I'll be watching the movie The Babadook. I chickened out last night but I think tonight is the night for a scary story. I mean, I can't look like a chicken in front of Quark. He may get the wrong idea....


Blogger Kathleen Cully said...

Jenna, Keep the fires burning, as this winter is only a temporary
season!!!!!!! Enjoy the snowshoeing........

February 9, 2015 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Susan Conway said...

wow - is that Monday in the pic?

February 9, 2015 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Sam I Am...... said...

I thought snow shoes were supposed to prevent you from sinking into the snow?
I used to love having the animals snug in the barn and trudging through the snow with my lantern. Some of my fondest memories of my farm.
Take care and stay snug and warm!

February 9, 2015 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home