Thursday, January 29, 2015

Morning Civility

Morning routines here are important. Coffee is a godsend and firelight is a need more real than daylight. I start the day with the percolator popping and the beginnings of a fire I'll depend on for heat, for humidity, for the warmth that makes a pile of timber and possessions a home. And when fire is bright and a warm mug finds my hands I put on the layers of armor needed to tend to animals in -6 degree weather. It is good work, this. Enough to cause a little sweat and bother. I come inside after and the house that seemed so cold compared to the cocoon of covers is a paradise of warmth and civility compared to the wind and ice outside.


Blogger Christine Marble said...


January 29, 2015 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Vintage Maison said...

Wow, -6f is -21 centigrade. We haven't had that for I think 3 years. Then it nearly killed my olive tree and froze the water butt, which split and took a month for the giant ice block to melt!

January 29, 2015 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger A.N said...

I believe that morning rituals are important nutriment to those who feel the breath and heart of the land they tend. My morning starts with a cup of blueberry tea with honey, a pat or two for the dog and cat, and a clean face. These simple acts set me up for all the power I need to get the day done.

January 29, 2015 at 5:52 PM  
Blogger kj said...

I heard that my friend!:)

January 29, 2015 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Maralee Childs said...

My morning routine is a blessing to me also. My alarm clock: a 68 lb Weimaraner that goes off at 5 am. And I've always felt that milking the goats morning and evening were the perfect bookends to my day. Oh and coffee, must have coffee!

January 30, 2015 at 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home