Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Make things

Write, paint, draw, build, sew, saw, hammer and knit. Mold clay, chisel wood, craft beers and tell stories. Grow flowers and vegetables, raise animals, read and retell, surround yourself with music - all the better if you can make your own.

Making things makes us better people, a better community, and a better world.


Blogger Michelle said...

It's been a long time since I've commented, bt I just had to say... I love this and I love you. :-) Keep on keeping on!

January 6, 2015 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Matt_Middleton said...

Yup! Get Excited and Make Things! https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackbeltjones/3365682994/

January 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger mdoe37 said...

Sewing window quilts right now....okay I cheated and bought moving blankets from Harbor Freight....but I still have to cut and sew them to size and add loops to hang.

Actually, they are not toooo ugly. And certainly cheaper ($8.99 ea) than all that fabric and batting!

They will be on the windows tonight for 6 degrees F.

January 6, 2015 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

So, true and when I forget I feel it. Here's to lots of creating this year!

January 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Molson said...

Thank you for the reminder

January 6, 2015 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Being creative makes me feel I am living the "good life". My skills may be small but my effort and desire are huge. And it makes me happy. Just finished crocheting a scarf for my son. Such a great feeling to provide for others:)

January 6, 2015 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger daisy g said...

Being creative is vital to the quality of our lives. I'm learning how to knit, sew and will take on crocheting as well this winter. It feels wonderful to know that I'm creating things that others will enjoy and be useful. We are creative beings. When we forget that, we're just goin' through the motions. Rock on!

January 6, 2015 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Currently knitting a scarf to go with the convertible mittens I made with yarn from Bedlam Farm. Also crocheting a prayer shawl for our ministry and quilting a Triple Irish Chain. The quilt will probably be in the frame about 5 yrs. because of my limited time. At least I have started. How wonderful to sit by the wood stove and work on these projects.
From the Phony Farm in Tennessee

January 6, 2015 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

Hear Hear! Well said!!!!

I enjoy the process of having an idea about what to make someone, creating it, and seeing the happiness of people I give handmade things to, who appreciate the thought and time that has gone into their gift.

Highlights of my creative 2014.....

I'm still a fairly basic knitter, hats, scarves and cowls, no complicated patterns or big items of clothing yet, but this Christmas I made several knitted hats, was able to see the reactions - and in some cases see them in use, being worn for the rest of the day, with friends locally.

I knitted a multicolored scarf for our friends 2 yr old daughter, made up of all the small quantities of leftover yarn from the hats I've been knitting her in various sizes since she was born.

Sent a newborn size hat to a friend who moved to Australia who just had her baby. She was thrilled and sends me pictures of her son wearing it.

I made basic aprons on my sewing machine, at my sisters request, for my niece and nephew in the UK (Star Wars and Fairy design, can't go wrong!)

I also taught 3 people to knit this year, including a friend recovering from spinal surgery who was pretty much homebound for 4 months, - we so enjoyed our knitting and Disney movie days during her recovery!

I took my spinning wheel along to several craft and homesteader festivals to give demonstrations.

Several months free time went into working a large quilt for my sister, we chose the fabric together when I was last in the UK in February, I made it here, and my parents took it back for her after their last visit in September - the grand unveiling via Skype was quite exciting!

Went through photos of special gatherings with friends, put them on a zip drive, used photo machine at the pharmacy and put the pictures into an album for one birthday gift, and a 12 slot photo collage frame for another friend.

I went to author talks locally, on a range of topics including farming and knitting. My favorite talk, and book was 'Knitting Yarns - Writers on Knitting - Edited by Ann Hood'. Our local Knitting Guild hosted a talk by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee which was hilarious, now have several of her books too, and knitting patterns I aspire to when I understand how to read them a little better!

Really enjoyed my nature photography, and taking pictures of the llamas, Shetland Sheep, Angora Goats and chickens at a neighbors farm, and being a 'helper' - sometimes just someone to talk to while we waited on ewes in labor to have their lambs. Been spending time making my own photo cards, rather than buying cards from the store, and people seem to enjoy receiving those.

Outdoors, this year has been all about the expanded vegetable garden, with electric fencing to stop the deer eating all our produce, and our 2 chickens who have been here since July.

I'm sorry this went on so long, but Jenna, thank you for making me stop and think about how much I do enjoy taking time to 'make things' and all the different things I have worked on over the last year.

I'm grateful for my life, and, I suspect, like most people, spend far more time being negative about stupid stuff, than actually writing down, or talking about the good things.

Working on craft projects, especially knitting and spinning, is great for my mental health too, calms me down and makes me happy - until I drop stitches!

January 7, 2015 at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home