Saturday, January 31, 2015

Goethe's Last Words

I am falling in love with mornings here, enjoying the fact that this farmhouse faces east and when dawn comes the whole place is filled with golden light. Here is my home, and what you can't smell is the way a fresh pot of coffee adds a warm syrup to this happy scene. What you can't hear is John Denver on the record player, singing of mountain roads in West Virginia. Light doesn't have to come from just the sun, my friends! It can come from the way that first sip of coffee in your favorite mug feels. It can come from the lyrics and music of a favorite song. It can come from the smile of your dog, the purr from your horrible cat, or the glance outside your window to the equine demands for hay and cookies. More light! Oh, how welcome it is!

I spent this morning outdoors and in. It is so cold here that when a friend of mine shared this photo she took of my homestead in June I was speechless. What she showed me was paradise, a deciduous rain forest with fauna and laughter and a woman in short sleeves making her way to a chicken house. Right now it looks like the surface of the moon out there and ice monsters crack open tailbones and your face hurts from the wind. But this! Look at this! More light is always on the way. June will come back and so will the thunderstorms, hammocks, fireflies and green we once all knew. And it's absence is what I need to keep falling in love with it over and over again. I know some of you love living in places that are always warm, but not I. I'll take the tailbone that hurts when I sneeze if it means this picture makes me twitter pated and hot coffee on my lips makes me praise all of creation on a morning below zero.

Every day the sun sticks around a little longer. Every day I am planning gardens, bee hives, chickens, lambs, kids, dairy work, trail rides, dreams, desires and more. This is a wonderful winter day, filled with music and good work, friends coming to visit and warm fires. I so look forward to you June, but I understand you aren't ready. That's okay. I enjoy the delay in pleasure.

More Light!


Blogger Christine Marble said...

These pics make me feel happy.

January 31, 2015 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

One of these days I'll join in that happy feeling, Jenna...for now I'll just join in the coffee...

January 31, 2015 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Nicole Karr said...

that is a great photo and holy peonies!!! I must have cracked my kneecap falling on ice and am so so ready for June Or at least April.

January 31, 2015 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

Beautiful. All of your hard work pays off.

January 31, 2015 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Love the increased light at the end of the day as we move through winter. 5:20 pm tonight when I put the girls in their coop! Sure beats 4:30 a month ago.

January 31, 2015 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Hannah B. Slaughter said...

Beautifully put! There is nothing that makes me more thankful for a hot cup of coffee than a January morning, and the colors in that photo make me hopeful for what's to come.

January 31, 2015 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Cat H said...

Pictures like this are what helps me slog through these cold, snowy, dark days. But without the cold and snow I don't think I would appreciate the green and warm as much.

February 1, 2015 at 6:40 AM  
Blogger mandy said...

I feel the same way Jenna. I love living in the Midwest where we have seasons.

February 1, 2015 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger Heather G said...

Yes, beautifully put. I feel the same way when Winter is kicking my ass knowing that spring is right around the corner! The changing of the seasons gives me hope for the next!

February 1, 2015 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Christina S said...

I agree as well!! Without winter we wouldn't be able to appreciate spring, and summer as much, we wouldn't be able to look ahead and plan with as much excitement as we do. Without fall and winter we would not have to plan and prepare food to survive on throughout the "cold season". I personally look forward to fall, I look forward to winter (love snowshoeing, and pretty snow ;), and then I look forward to spring, and summer! Once you are tired of one the next one is around the corner (or a couple months away). I live in west michigan, and love the seasons, but, like you all, I am definately chomping at the bit to get seeds started, to get the garden in, and take action on all the plans I have been making the past few months!!!

February 2, 2015 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Christina S said...

I almost forgot, I love the picture of your house with the woodstove, the bench, and the spinning the spinning wheel...a little jealous ;).

February 2, 2015 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

I agree. What we endure in this climate makes spring and summer all the sweeter. I too was noticing the longer days and light when I get off the commuter train at 5:30 pm. It's the little things.

February 2, 2015 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger NancyJeff O'Brien said...

I am ready
No other life for me!
Should be an interesting year for sure!

February 3, 2015 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger NancyJeff O'Brien said...

I AM ready
No other life for me
This should be a great interesting year

February 3, 2015 at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home