Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Cold Night, Warm Camp.

The forecast claims -12 degrees tonight and I am not messing around. It isn't possible to heat a two-story old farmhouse well when it is that cold outside. So what do I do? I hang heavy blankets over the doorways that lead upstairs. I have a small heater in the bathroom with the door shut, and all the pipes are dripping to keep water moving. And tonight I have made a little bed right in front of the fire. It's wool and sheepskin and a warm dog. I'm happy to sleep right by the hob, and among the defrosting bottles and drying boots and gloves. Looking forward to a night so warm, with a good book, a soft bed, and maybe even some scotch in mug with hot water and honey. Oh man, just writing that makes me feel rich.

Stay warm out there, friends.


Blogger Becca Bledsoe said...

It's supposed to be down in the teens for us and we live down in Coastal Mississippi!! Yikes! I hope I can get as cozy as you will be as I will be curled up with one big fat black cat and my first ever crocheted blanket I finished this past weekend. It's so soft and warm, can't wait. We were in shorts this weekend by the way! lol

January 7, 2015 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Tubaville said...

We heat with wood, too and it is supposed to get down to -6 here in Minnesota with bitter windchills. All the animals pile up and I have four of my fluffiest quilts on the bed :) I hope you and your animal family stays warm tonight.

January 7, 2015 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger Teresa A Hearth And Home Goddess Wannabe said...

We did this A LOT growing up. I feel for you. My sister still covers the upstairs doorway when it gets cold. (Wind chills here -30 this morning and blizzard watch tomorrow.) Electric heat tape will help with the pipes and a shower tension rod in the doorway works well to hang the blanket from. Goes up and down easily when you need it.

January 7, 2015 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I am here in Oregon, and we are having a much warmer night... above freezing. I do know that the extreme cold is very difficult to handle on the farm with all your animals. I hope that none of the pipes freeze. Stay warm and cozy.

January 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Hope your night goes well:) Cool enough here in Illinois, expecting 9 degrees below. Brrr:)

January 7, 2015 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Finding Home Farm said...

Yikes! Reading this reminds me how NOT sorry I am that we moved from Illinois back to the West Coast a few years ago. Stay warm and safe.

January 8, 2015 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger A.N said...

Its no -12 but last night the 19 mph wind was making it feel like 8 degrees and I did a ritual I like to call "Like a cake."

It starts off...

A pair of knee high socks and thick sports bra. Panties and long thermal leggings, cotton tank top and thermal long sleeve shirt, then flannel light jacket. Over which goes great coat, hat and crochet by my own hands, 100% virgin wool scarf. I did the scarf in light and dark rose, charcoal, chocolate and latte. Just looking at it inspires thoughts of comfy chairs by the fire, steaming tea in a beloved mug and good reading.

January 8, 2015 at 5:58 PM  
OpenID daphnecybele said...

We are in your neck of the woods and we heat only with wood. We had to keep the wood stove cranking last night,and it was worrisome because of the brutal cold outside, below zero. It's amazing to me that a wood stove, alone, can heat the entire house so well when the temperature outside is -15... But requires a lot of wood when it gets this cold... Stay warm Jenna!

January 8, 2015 at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home