Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Being Okay With It

A few days back I posted a vlog asking for topic suggestions. An email came to me that really touched me, because her story was the same as mine. It came from a woman who wanted to start a grass-based animal farm. She understands that making a living with sustainable agriculture in her regions means raising animals. It means exchanging money for animals, their offspring, and their meat. She confessed to recently converting from being vegan, and while she does feel that animals on soil can heal the land and belong in hr diet, she is having problems in her heart. That is because this not just a business issue for her, but a moral one.

She was in no way admonishing me, she was honestly interested in how to "be okay" with making a living selling the offspring and flesh of other sentient beings. This was my response to her.


Blogger daisy g said...

Following your heart will always steer you in the right direction. There is always an option. Listen to it.

January 6, 2015 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger Kathye McCarthy said...

Hi Jenna!

I've sent you emails but don't think I've ever commented on your blog/vlog! What an honest, fair, objective, wise and compassionate presentation this is! You give great advice...educate yourself and then do what feels right to you. Each of us get to make our own choices. If it feels right, do it. If it doesn't feel right to you, then choose something else. And respectfully leave the judgement of others out of it. I love your books and really admire your commitment to what you believe and what you love...I'm always rooting for you! And by the way, you look terrific in the vlog! Stay warm! Kathye (with the drum!) from Vermont

January 6, 2015 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

My cell is really slow at playing the video so I've only seen half. I'll have to watch it on my laptop at work. You look so pretty! I love the hats (I've always wanted to wear hats but have yet to find a single one besides knits that fit my head) But you look really pretty with loose hair. Rock it sister!

January 6, 2015 at 10:15 PM  

Jenna, this is the former Sherry Nigito. Joanna and I saw the article in the paper. I am thrilled you are following your calling. Stay warm. Keep on keeping on.

January 8, 2015 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

I'll have to watch the video later. I am not sure how I'll cope with the day that I have to actually face this reality.

I did want to drop you a note and say that I am curious - what's the neatest least expensive thing or idea/concept that makes your life easier? I love this lifestyle, but we all know its hard. There are a lot of hacks going around out there, and that's the beauty of the interwebs - we're all able to connect from so far away and share the best ideas. I recently saw a chicken waterer made with a 55 gallon barrel, a tank heater, and a water nipple system from aquabarrel.com only needs to be filled every 3-4 weeks, and stays thawed. That's a great idea in my opinion! Just curious if you had any ideas/hacks like that yourself.

January 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM  
OpenID sustainablegardenfarming.com said...

Thanks for the great video. I wanted to comment on why we should make use of animals from a little different perspective. I was raised on a farm and have hunted and fished all of my life. I'm now 41. Current media and what hunting celebrities had me questioning if what I was doing was right, based on the way they portrayed hunting as a sport. Fortunately I stumbled on david peterson's book "Heartsblood" and have never looked at hunting or meat production the same since. It is a very compelling read that puts man firmly in his place in our ecology.
Thanks again for the excellent Vlog!

January 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home