Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Snowy Indie Day Today!

The snow hasn't melted yet around the farmstead, and I'm enjoying the winter warmth. Snow outside and a fire indoors, good food in the oven or slow cooker, homemade wine and good friends visiting often. This is what the holidays are all about! Friends, food, and Yuletide cheer!

Today a reader from New Hampshire came for an Indie Day. He is just starting his homestead and laying the foundation down for a good barn, but wanted to spend a day talking about bees, chickens, and rabbits. So that is what we did. A few hours inside and outside the farmhouse talking. We visited my hive and animals and I shared my stories, books, and suggestions. But I am just one homesteader and there are as many ways to do things as their are farmers to do them. So next we visited local beekeepers and farmers. We spoke with the amazing folks at Common Sense and saw their Cote/Coop setups. Their they use an awesome method hard to explain when not in person. A system of feeding tables that are rat proof on pedestals and water buckets with nipples. They have poo hammocks under the night roosts on pulleys to lower into buckets. It is genius and the way I would design my next coop if I used a coop again (Birds here are all free range and sleep in the barn at night). Then we traveled to Patty and Mark's place to visit her animals and rabbitry. Patty has been breeding meat rabbits for over a decade and knows those animals well and has her system down pat. She shared her knowledge and showed off her beautiful farm and tractor she's restoring from the 40's.

I love these Indie Days, and wish I could host Indie Weeks! To be here for a day and see the farm, meet the animals, and talk over evening chores or with tea by the wood stove, that is all wonderful, but I wish someone from a city or suburb could spend a whole week here and get a taste of the rhythm of farm days. It would be a happy rattle, I think, to spend a day around animals and wood stove needs instead of meetings and commuter trains. Or maybe they'd learn after a few days how wonderful microwaves, thermostats, and warm toilet seats are after a few days here and happily set the farm fantasy aside! Either way, what an adventure!


Blogger small farm girl said...

I've had relatives, who live in the city, want to spend a week here on the farm. At one point, I even considered building little "cabins" so people could vacation in them and get the "farm" feel. I've had a few families ask about staying here. We need to get our own house done before I could even think about doing something like that. Good idea though.

December 17, 2014 at 5:16 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

So why not? If you offer a short work exchange program for brief periods of time and can set up a modest place for another person in the house, it would be just another source of income.

December 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

I agree with Ginny. I, for one, would love to do that. You can't really get a feel for a lifestyle in just one day.

December 31, 2014 at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home