Friday, December 19, 2014

Meet Brick

Brick isn't new around here but I'm not sure you have ever been formally introduced? She's one of the original five blackface sheep I had bought back during my first winter here in Jackson. Over the years she has produced twins and single, all the finest sheep ever born here. None have stayed, sadly. They were all more valuable as barter than as home stock, and they went on to produce the flocks at Draftwood and Common Sense Farms. Last year her ram lamb, Wallace, was sold to another NY state farm as their new ram. He was a little brick, too, twice the size of any of the other lambs. This year, I am hoping for a nice fat ewe lamb!

But Brick! What a ewe! She is named that for her stature since she is as solid as they come. She's a smaller, furrier, propane tank on spotted legs. She stands proudly in the pasture and I am proud of her. She's a fixture here, not as charismatic as Maude was nor as big and braw as Monday - but the kind of woman you'd want to have your back. She's bred and I am crossing my fingers for some good and hardy gals to stay here and join her in the pasture. Tough broads are a welcomed lot around these parts.


Blogger Ohiofarmgirl said...

i love her spotty face!

December 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

So beautiful! I know of some some sheep maybe up for grabs at the moment but because we're still in the searching for land process, I can't claim them yet! I'm anxious to have my own!

December 20, 2014 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

What a gal! Looking to get two Shetland sheep this year for spinning. Looking forward to it.

December 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home