Thursday, December 25, 2014

Happy Christmas to You!

The Solstice came a few days ago, and I was up before dawn to greet him. I lit a fire, and meditated for a bit. No mantras, no beads, no hands in weird positions on my lap. I just sat quietly and watched the sun rise. For a gal like me it's a big, bright, deal. From here on out we can measure all days in growing daylight. The sun has come back from it's hiding places and for some of you out there another very popular son is born this morning. So Happy Christmas folks!

I've been out of commission here a few days, not feeling well and resting up. I've also been homebound, thanks to a truck with a rusted out brake line. For the past few days of churning stomaches and heavy thoughts the rain came and came and came. Many inches fell here in Washington county and the sump pump has been working overtime in my dirt floor basement. But this morning while doing chores the rain stopped. The sun came out and it felt like spring. The wind was warm and I was overdressed in a light sweater! I watched the light swirl all over the puddles and sheets of not-yet-melted ice and I couldn't think of a better Christmas Present. A day where all my friends gather together, eat great food, and its warm enough that I can leave for a few hours without worrying about keeping the wood stove going. I am about to light a fire here, just to fight off the damp, but the windows are open in the farmhouse and I am contemplating a morning of baking so I have some gifts to offer my friends tonight at dinner over at Livingston Brook Farm. I think a basket of homemade egg breads, all braided and coated in cinnamon and sugar would be a fine present. And I have a few jars left of my own farm's raspberry jam! There is honey in jars, lamb chops in the freezer, these are fine and wonderful gifts for friends!

I hope all of you are well fed today, warm, with people you love all around you. I hope the wine and liquor flow, your nog is egged, and the slow-cooked beasts on the table share enough for everyone to have seconds! I wish you all kindness and peace, forgiveness and acceptance, and most of all - a sense of good will the rest of this winter and into the hard work of spring. Seed catalogs are already here!

P.S. Italics says Hi!


Blogger Charlotte Boord said...

Jenna, and a very merry Christmas to you, too. My Christmas gifts included canning jars from my son, my favorite movie on DVD from my grandson, and a special dish towel from my sister. And, hope that you will continue to treat us with blogs and vlogs from Cold Antler Farm!

December 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger patricia adams said...

A very merry one to you too, Jenna and best wishes for a grand new year.

December 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Karen Talamantez said...

Best of everything to you, Jenna.

December 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM  
Blogger Ohiofarmgirl said...

Happy Christmas, Jenna!

December 25, 2014 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Jenna-raspberry jam and egg bread sound great! One of my favorite gifts is a used book with title of A Widow's Walk:Off-Grid to Self-Reliance. Also got How to Live without Electricity and Like It!Since my goal is being off-grid I look forward to reading them. The best though is that my oldest son has reunited with us and has come home for about 5 days. Hope that your evening goes well:)

December 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger Me From Maine said...

Happy Solstice and Christmas to you as well!

December 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Lovely Christmas to you. I am happy that you are feeling better.

December 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Happy holiday season to you and your brood! I'm sorry you've been under the too but with head colds and a nasty cough...thankfully the Grandbabies are staying healthy. So it's hot lemon/honey/ginger tea and YAY!! The seed catalogs have started to arrive :D
Get well soon....lovely pic of Italics! Hugs to Gibson!

December 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

Feliz Navidad, Jenna!

Next year we┬┤ll finally be celebrating at our cottage. Woot!

December 26, 2014 at 2:53 AM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Happy Christmas, Jenna, and all best wishes for a fabulous 2015.

December 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Sarah Bellaire said...

Merry Christmas Jenna!

I've loved reading all your blogs and look forward to reading many more in the year ahead! Here's to getting your first deer in 2015!

December 26, 2014 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Betsy Earley said...

Merry Christmas Jenna, hope you are feeling better.

December 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM  
OpenID said...

Merry christmas to everyone. Hope you get to feeling better.

December 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Happy Christmas Jenna.

December 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home