Monday, December 8, 2014

Game Night for Beginners!

I'll say this again: I hated board games until fairly recently, and I mean loathed them. I felt trapped at the table, held hostage with some plastic and cardboard. That said, I loved chess. I grew up playing chess all through elementary school and high school and had an electronic board I could play against in college. I'm not the greatest player but the strategy and intensity thrilled me, and I did not consider it a board game. Board games were rolling dice and moving pieces around and just wasting time, all luck and horseplay. But when I discovered this lesser-known world of boardgames that involved the strategy of Chess combined with just enough luck to make it anyone's game.... I was hooked.

Games loved around here are titles such as Settlers of Catan, Agricola, Ticket to Ride, Small World, Tsuro, Last Night on Earth, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Munchkin, Gloom, and many many more. Another table top adventure that happens here is Role Playing Games such as Dungeons and Dragons, where you create a character and hope it survives the day. Two campaigns are happening here right now (one I play in and one I run as the game master) and I look forward to those nights more than any others during the week.

This holiday season you'll be with a lot of friends and family, why not get everyone together to play something simple and awesome such as Ticket to Ride instead of arguing over politics and recipes? Why not turn off the TV and consoles for a minute, set aside the phones, and figure out how to survive a Zombie attack on Last Night on Earth. Or, if you're feeling that gracious holiday spirit: save the world from several epidemics in Pandemic, as a family, how adorable!

Game Nights mean ordering pizza or potlucks. Simple food, good friends, music, adventure, and all of this done around a table looking each other in the eye and using our brains. It's a great way for any rural community or farmstead to enjoy time with neighbors and just as fun in your apartments in the city - opting for a night in with amazing take out (I am jealous of) and a few hands of Gloom to figure out how creepy that blind date really is...

So play more games! Click here to watch my favorite board game right now, Lords of Waterdeep!


Blogger Sara said...

I LOVE Settlers of Catan and have longed to play Agricola for years. Haven't managed to get my hands on it yet.

December 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

Hope Santa is bringing us Settlers of Catan... (It's on our list as per your recommendation)

December 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

I need to get my hands on Kingdom Builders. The family and I have played Tokaido at least a few times. Very fun games.

December 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Casa Colibri said...

Lords of Waterdeep is my current fave too!

December 9, 2014 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger Jess Sheppard said...

All family gatherings include board games here-usually grind gatherings also ;) it just seem right without them!

December 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Jess Sheppard said...

*friend gatherings not grind lol

December 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home