Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Fiddle & Drum

It's a snow day here, the storm that was supposed to come with yesterday's rain came today in the form of fives inches of constant, delightful, gentle snowfall. I have been working indoors and taking breaks from the computer with two old friends, my fiddle and drum. Ihave been playing an Irish song called the Scartaglen Slide and working on being more fluid with it, more easy. It's a tricky tune with a tricky tempo but the challenge of getting it better has been half the fun.

I'm a musician, but not one of any consequence. I play music to please myself, and play it scrappy and lightly. The fiddle is my weapon of choice and teaching it to new players is one of my favorite things about Cold Antler Farm. Good food and good music, both made from scratch, might be the most wonderful combination in the world. It doesn't matter if both are imperfect, it only matters that you eat and play with deep-rooted joy.

I am not sure I ever shared the artwork I tattooed into the goatskin head of this little drum? Indian ink was hand set with a metal calligraphy pen, inspired by the dogs in the book of Kells, this wolf arches his back to the four corners. Old Alchemic symbols of the elements and knot work surround him. I have carried this drum across five states and have played it at college drum circles, outdoor music events, and just for fun in front of the computer to record some homemade music. I wrote a little song called Fireside with a tin whistle, egg shaker, dulcimer, and this little drum. Enjoy it with some photos of this little farm going from late summer into winter here in the mountains! The time of year being fireside matters most!



{Postscript}

If you are a regular reader of Cold Antler Farm, and enjoy the stories, photos, music, and journey of a woman and her farm, please consider making a contribution as a subscriber to this blog. This is an entirely voluntary system, the blog will always be free, but if you are willing and able to contribute a few dollars a month, I truly thank you. It is a way to pay for the writing on this blog, if you wish to. These add up and can make all the difference in keeping a creative life solvent. Right now even the smallest nod towards the farm could make all the difference for me and the animals this winter. I thank all of you for even considering it, and so appreciate those who already do subscribe. Again, this is optional and the blog remains free for all!

6 Comments:

Blogger Peacemom said...

Jenna, on occasion you've asked for ideas for things to vlog about...I was wondering if you could do one on the Bun Baker? What type of things do you cook in it besides/including bread? Do you have a favorite recipe you find comes out especially well in it? How do you find it's performance? It always looks so cozy in pictures, but I'd like to hear more about it's practical uses and purpose on the farm beyond wonderful, soul warming heat on a cold day. Thanks for considering it! ~Vonnie, NH

December 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

That was just beautiful, Jenna... music and photos all ... It really moved me .....

December 10, 2014 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Molly Piper said...

This is divine, Jenna, beautiful and meaningful. Thank you!

December 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Jenna, this is wonderful. I needed this vlog after the many days of wet, dark weather here in western Oregon.

December 10, 2014 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger Coco said...

Absolutely lovely. Thank you!

December 11, 2014 at 3:31 AM  
Blogger Tanya T said...

Beautiful.

December 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home