Friday, December 12, 2014

A Different Sort of Grown Up

I took a glance at this blog today, something I rarely do. I write it, and post to it, but actually scrolling up and down it like a reader isn't something I do. What I saw made me so happy here on this snowy rock this afternoon. Outside the world is gray and bitter and the snow isn't stopping. But inside this little farmhouse with three rooms on the first floor, there is a wellspring of creativity! I see art, design, illustration, photography, music and prose. I see story telling and books and fiddle tunes being fought with around the edges. It's such a nice change from posts of worry and fear, something I find myself doing when I make the mistake of focusing on all the frays on the quilt instead of the patches. I have become a different sort of grown up.

Last night I was working with Italics in the farmhouse. He and I are getting closer and closer to hunting weight and skill. He landed on the bench with my fiddle and I got lucky to snap this picture. I adore it. It shows the heart of this farm. The harsh melody that is a creative world that allows things like slaughter, martial arts, archery, falconry and rifle season. It's human and animal, but wood and brass and not plastic and toy poodles. This little farm is a manifestation of who I am, or who I want to be. It's what all our homes are, really.

In the mail this week I got some cards from readers. I got new blog subscribers. A man from Wisconsin mailed me a handmade Osage Orange horsebow and arrow. What woman in this country gets ancient weapons and cards with puppies playing on them delivered in the same day? Another reader send an email that floored me, about such an upturned life and personal goals I was humbled by it, and ashamed of the blog post I wrote about not living vicariously. I feel so damn lucky to have you readers. I know a lot of authors have webs tires and blogs, but I don't know many who have the relationship we have. You are welcomed in this house, in this life, at this farm. Your cards, emails, gifts, donations, book purchases and patience are helping fuel this little fire on the mountain.

I thank you, all.

Luceo Non Uro.


Blogger Sharon said...

Jenna, Thanks for the photo of his foot, he must be a very pretty bird by now. I think that you are living the life that is in your heart. It takes many more years for most of us to figure out the life we want. Keep going, and dream big dreams. She did it anyway...from the Brave Girls Club. Sharon

December 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

So lovely!

December 30, 2014 at 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home